PDA

View Full Version : tranny is going bad

dan42684
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
my tranny is going on my Z. i was wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt one or if anyone else has had this happen to them.

kawiracerj
04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
yes i have had this problem.2 times! both times i have done the work myself.im not a tech just know how to read manual and follow.if you have time you should be able to do it!

dan42684
04-24-2009, 04:12 PM
yeah i'll have to buy a manual if i plan on doing. thanks bud

quad97
04-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I've had to rebuild mine a few times. The 500 kit is a little harder on it. Make sure that you replace any of the gears that have even the slightest amount of wear on the ears that stick out and mate with other gears. Even the slightest wear will cause the transmission to pop itself into the next lower gear under load.

CGCinc
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
How do you know your tranny is going bad??

Reason is my tranny Or something acts weird....sometimes when I let the clutch out it doesn't instantly grab, its like something in the tranny is rotating just a bit and then it catches!?!? Works and shifts fine but makes me wonder...

quad97
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
its not the transmission then. Everything in the tranny is meshed steel to steel-no room for give or slipping. Look at the clutch. You may have weak springs or glazed plates.

CGCinc
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by quad97
its not the transmission then. Everything in the tranny is meshed steel to steel-no room for give or slipping. Look at the clutch. You may have weak springs or glazed plates.

I've got a new clutch ordered...Don't think its clutch though.

It's hard to explain, its not like its just "slipping", and it seems to happen more when I go from forward to reverse or back to forward. Like something is spinning just a bit till it solidly catches!?!
Guess I'll figure it out sonner or later as hard as I run this thing!!

LPR
05-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by CGCinc
I've got a new clutch ordered...Don't think its clutch though.

It's hard to explain, its not like its just "slipping", and it seems to happen more when I go from forward to reverse or back to forward. Like something is spinning just a bit till it solidly catches!?!
Guess I'll figure it out sonner or later as hard as I run this thing!!
your reverse cable is not fully disengaging when you go from reverse to forward, try to lube it.

CGCinc
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by LPR
your reverse cable is not fully disengaging when you go from reverse to forward, try to lube it.

Awesome... Hope thats it cause I'm a little worried. Thanks!;)