PDA

View Full Version : motor rebuild this fall??

WB450r
04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
this will be my first motor rebuild for my 05 450r and i have no clue where to start at..
ino for sure that im getting a full dasa exhaust and i want to run a 13:1 or 14:1 piston with race gas..
so what all do i need to look in buying when it comes to rebuilding a motor..
also i want to stay in the 450cc class

thanks

d3ktrix
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Get a 12:1 piston and take the extra money u saved from not having to run race gas and get a cam.

12:1 and a cam will give much better gains then higher comp and no cam.
I'd do cam / porting / FCR carb first.

If you do decide to go high comp though, skip 13:1 and go 14:1 or higher. The price of the fuel isn't worth the minimal 1-2HP the 13:1 gives you. All the same expense with crap for gain.
Unless you don't mind the $$, then high comp is great =)

BlaineKaiser450
04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
when i do a motor it will ahve this:
FCR
Dasa
Web Cam
Valves
Porting
14.25:1 piston

Modifly
04-24-2009, 03:17 AM
13 : 1 piston and get a good cam insted of race fuel.

i run 13 : 1 piston, cam, porting, crf ignition, full pipe still with a stock carb and she is quick as hell! (pump gas):)

WB450r
04-24-2009, 04:59 AM
thanks for the info d3..do valves play a big part in this or will the stock ones be fine..also how much does a fcr carb like the one u got cost and where could i get one..

Originally posted by Modifly
13 : 1 piston and get a good cam insted of race fuel.

i run 13 : 1 piston, cam, porting, crf ignition, full pipe still with a stock carb and she is quick as hell! (pump gas):)

ive heard that if u run 12.5:1 piston or bigger tht u have to run race gas...how are u using pump gas with 13:1

300ex_#387
04-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Right now im currently rebuilding my 07 with the same parts I had in it from last season. I'm running all stock valves and head components, STG 2 hotcam, ported and a JE 14:1 Pro series piston. I was very happy with my results and reliability from last year so I went ahead and ordered all the same parts for this years rebuild.

JJs450r
04-24-2009, 06:46 AM
what kinda budget you on

not sure but dont a 12:1 piston cost more then a 13:1

on a side not you can always have your piston thermal coated which will only require 50/50 mix of race gas and 93 pump which will save a little bit of money

if your gettin a dasa pipe id look up what kinda combos work the best with that pipe, like cam, port, valve job, etc

Butter
04-24-2009, 10:04 AM
You can run 13:1 with pump gas. My bro had it in his '06 with KibbleWhite oversized valves, port and polish, and a StgII Hotcam, and his bike ran!! Also lasted 2 years!! (Rebuild after each season) So you can do that, and have no issues with reliability.

Myself, I run a Rossier port and polished head, with a StgI Hotcam, Rossier full exhaust, and a stock piston, which I know sounds a little weak, but its all in the head work and componentry. You can throw everything under the sun in a motor, but if they don't all work well with each other, its going to be a big waste. Find engine parts that work well together, thats another big thing. Just like suspension, you run valving in a shock for one brand of arm, while running them on a different brand, its not going to work as well as it should.

That's the stuff I have on my race bike. My practice bike has a Sparks drop in cam, with their head work as well, their piston, with their exhaust (its Chris Borch's 12 hour bike from 3 years ago with Natalie and Bithell, thats why its all Sparks) and she runs just as good as my race bike. I feel just a bit more comfortable with the power on my race bike, thats why I stick with it. But serounsly you get a good 5 angle valve job, some oversized valves, and a carb. and I think you got the best combo going. And if that isn't enough, you can always throw in a higher comp piston in it, and that is basically free HP, cause its not a big deal to throw in a piston. Just be sure to go through and know what you want, and see what companies make the parts that will allow you to get what you want.

WB450r
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
thanks for all the info..budget isnt really a concern but i dont wanna send my motor off to a big company..i wanna get it done at a local shop around here..

also wht engine parts work well with a full dasa exhaust..

JJs450r
04-25-2009, 02:07 PM
i think a cp piston with a web cam not positive though

JJs450r
04-25-2009, 02:12 PM
you aint gotta ship the hole motor off to have port work done just have the local shop disassemble the head and ship it to whom you want to do the work, rossier offers a sportsman port which is only 325, and there are several other good companies to send to, im impressed with the drg port wish i would knew about them before i had mine ported

d3ktrix
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by WB450r
thanks for the info d3..do valves play a big part in this or will the stock ones be fine..also how much does a fcr carb like the one u got cost and where could i get one..

ive heard that if u run 12.5:1 piston or bigger tht u have to run race gas...how are u using pump gas with 13:1

Stock size valves until you get head work done.
When you get the head ported, depending on who does it they will most likely recommend only +1 exhausts unless u go BB or stroker.
As far as brands go, I've been told flow differences are minimal. But SS Ferra's are the same price as OEM, so why not :P

IMO the best place to pick up an FCR is to find a used one either on forums or ebay. Mines the 07 CRF so I had to pay almost 300 on ebay (was like new tho)
Should be able to find a YFZ or 06+ TRX carb for 150-250. New they are super expensive.
Then had it bored to 43.5mm which was another $250. Don't bore it until you get head work done though.
I had all my head/carb work done by DRG, if your trying to decide on a shop, I highly recommend him.