PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem. what does this mean?

chargercalvin
04-23-2009, 02:51 PM
my 300ex wont start. i used a test light to trace the problem. the solinoid had juice on the battery side but not the other side. the wires coming off the back of it dont have juice. the fuse and fuse box check out. if i use a screwdriver to cross the solinoid nothing happens, solinoid wont even click. if i take the solonoid off and touch the two cables together it grounds itsself out. do i have a random ground somewhere or is it just a bad solinoid??? pics and more info available if needed. help me out i hate bein stuck not ridin.

thanks everyone,

-calvin

chargercalvin
04-23-2009, 08:39 PM
crossed the soleniod and it tried to start but then grounded its self out and wont try and start anymore? can a solenoid be that bad?

thyman17
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Is the started bad? Like froze up ? Take the battery cable and try to Make it turn over if it does then its most likely some wiring somewhere or the solenoid.

chargercalvin
04-24-2009, 07:24 AM
the starter is bad but it will turn over if i jar it a little bit with a hammer or something. but if i take the solenoid off and touch the wires together it grounds out. should it do that?

thyman17
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
It shouldnt ground out but if the starter is bad that would cause it to ground out. Something might be shorting it out which caused the solenoid to go too.

Tommy Warren
04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Calvin

try to cross the solenoid with a screw driver and hit the starter at the same time see if this makes it turn over. I still believe you need new brushes in your starter thats all thats wrong.

Tommy Warren
04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
also you said your solenoid has power on the battery side but not the other side. did you push the start button while you were holding the test light on the other side? if it gets power when your pushing the button then its your brushes for sure.