PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiht my first 250r

ehorst33
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey, I just bought my first 250r and need some help. I want to make this my project and rebuild it over some time but yet still want to be able to ride it. My question is were should I start? What things should I start with first. Previous owner just rebuilt the motor just so you know. Let me know what you guys think i should do.
thanks.

250Renvy
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Any time I've bought a used 250R, no matter what they told me they've done, I'd go through and do a compression test, leak down test, check the reeds, clean the airbox and put on a new air filter, check to make sure all the bolts are tight and bearings don't have any play.

It looks like it's got stock shocks - so the first part I would look for is new front shocks. The 20 year old fish oil front shocks from 250R's are absolute garbage and will wear you out so fast it's not even funny.

Check the chain and sprockets for condition and bent/broken/missing teeth. Make sure you have a case saver of some sort on it.

Most times if you start taking things apart you will find you will have to replace stuff, so be prepared. These can often need a lot of work to be in top condition.

89rwfo
04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
depend on you r budget. I would start with taking swinger off and inspect/replace bearing seals and the same with a-arms carrier wheel and stem bearings. That will give a good foundation along your new motor. After that put some shocks and a 38mm A/S. my 2cents

jcs003
04-23-2009, 05:26 PM
brakes may also need a rebuild or taken apart and just cleaned up. all new fluids is also a good thing to do.

mcboomport
04-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Everything these guys said is exactly the order I would finish my bike. Check your jetting!! I have learned the hard way on this from letting a shop jet my bike that doesnt build 250r's!! (I would definetely recommend the 38 Air striker though)
But one other thing... Check and make sure your exhaust is bolted up Everywhere it needs to be, and repack your silencer if you are going anywhere noise could be an issue.
For some reason most of these bikes I've seen on the market seem to have huge dents or holes in the exhaust because someone didn't take the time to properly align the exhaust.

1989trx250r
04-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Definitely look over the frame for cracks. When I bought mine, I found cracks in two places. One up top by where the steering stem attaches to the bulkhead, and another below the sub-frame in the back, behind where the swinger bolts up. Finding them sooner than later is a good idea. Gusset kit welded into the frame is also a good idea if you are willing to strip it down that far.