PDA

View Full Version : killswitch install!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help need to now before the weekend!!!!

trailrider894
04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
i bought a tusk killswitch and don't know how the crap to put it on!!! i heard somwhere to ground it to the frame and then put the other side on the engine coil??? is this true?? and if so how is this going to stop the atv?? and how do i know witch wire is supposed to go where?? or does it matter??

honda400ex2003
04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
i wired mine to the ground and to a spot jsut before the coil in back of the black cover. it works great and there is no cutting of wires or anything. i think it a black and yellow but am unsure. i know it is about an inch or two before the coil though. woops just read it is a tusk and that one is different it has to be wired in line with the existing stuff. it is normally closed so it needs to have power to work. the one i have is a normally open so when it is pulled it goes to closed and completes the circuit to the frame instead of the motor. yours you will have to splice it in between the killswitch and the coil in line. I guess if you had the plugs for it you could disconnect the one that i was talking about earlier and run it to the bars with the switch inbetween. it would not be bad to do i dont think. you would just disconnect the 2 halves and hook the switch inbetween them to get it to open the circuit which would not let the power through to the plug. good luck steve

trailrider894
04-23-2009, 08:03 AM
so my killswitch should have live electricity running through it all the time???

Young_Gun1
04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
yes

trailrider894
04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
so then i can place it anywhere that would cut the electricity running to the coil??

AZ440ex
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure if its the same as the pro-design but sounds like the same wiring instuctions. I was not going to dig into the coil "pulse generator" wire they said.

I ended up grounding it up near the sterring stem on the frame and looked up which wire from the rev box went to the " pulse generator" wire and tapped into it just before the box

rob_990
04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238

AZ440ex
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238

Well, that article is identical to what I was trying to say:p

Wish I would of found that when I did mine:ermm:

honda400ex2003
04-23-2009, 07:46 PM
if he hooks up his tusk one like that it will not work. that one is normally open and grounds to the frame. the tusk one will be th opposite. he would have to put the tether on to kill the machine. you need to splice it into the black and yellow wire on the machine i believe. steve

04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
So on the pro-design did they have to cut the black/yellow wire?

NacsMXer
04-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
So on the pro-design did they have to cut the black/yellow wire?

I wired my Pro Design per this article years ago: http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238

You don't have to cut the black wire with the yellow stripe, just get one of those blue tap splice connectors like in the article, it lets you tap into the existing wire without cutting. I'm not the hugest fan of tap splice connectors, but mine has worked for many years. Gotta admit they are pretty convenient for wiring stuff like this.

trailrider894
04-23-2009, 08:48 PM
how come i feel like i'm lost??? :huh

trailrider894
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
first of the wire's aren't mark just both are black/

04-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I wired my Pro Design per this article years ago: http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238

You don't have to cut the black wire with the yellow stripe, just get one of those blue tap splice connectors like in the article, it lets you tap into the existing wire without cutting. I'm not the hugest fan of tap splice connectors, but mine has worked for many years. Gotta admit they are pretty convenient for wiring stuff like this.

Ok, I just was making sure you still want that black/yellow wire connected to both, not just one.