PDA

View Full Version : dog seizures

JJs450r
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
i know ive posted this a while ago, but my ole ladys Black lab has grand mal seizures. hes got medicince to help with them but one still seems to pop up every now and again, and it probably one of the worst things you can ever watch. so my question is do you think its right to sit there time after time watching him suffer, or do you not think it suffering? it usually takes him 20-30 minutes to come to after walking into the fence or stuff in the house about 100 times cus he cant see. I think hes suffering and shouldnt have to go through it but lindsay thinks opposite,

i know if it was my dog(we all know how much i love him) i wouldnt want him to have to suffer through it time after time

what yall think

matt14c
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Doesnt sound like he having to much fun. I would take him to the vet and maybe if they say he is suffering your wife will listen to them or may sound better coming from them so she will do the right thing.

Quad18star
04-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Do you use any products like Febreeze around your home or any kind of aerosol sprays?

My cousin has 2 labs , and after 8 years of one of them have seizures , they pin pointed the cause to them using Febreeze sprays. They would spray it , and when the dog would lay on the rug where it was sprayed , the dog would start with convultions.

They've stopped it now for a little bit , and the dog has been fine .

Just something to think about .. and apparently she did quite a bit of research on the net , and other pet owners are complaining about the same thing happening after they use Febreeze around their animals.

JJs450r
04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
we dont use febreeze but do use lyseol(sp) but havent used it today, we think its when we go out of town mostly for races, we take the lab to her moms house, we think its an anxiety issue. the vets dont know much all they say is there not sure why dogs have seizures, and we did video tape it once so they could see, all the vet did was up his phenobarbital dose. and if he does have a seizure we gotta give him a valium. and thing that bothers me the most is when he does start comming to hes dazed and confused and lindsay get kinda angry cus he wont listen and cant control him and thats not right either its not the dogs fault idk i guess im just venting cus its the same thing everytime it happens

Quad18star
04-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Ya it's no different than a person having one .... afterwards they are really dazed and confused. Just remain patient.

JJs450r
04-23-2009, 05:50 AM
so this leads me to ask do you consider it suffering?

416exfreak
04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
My dog used to have seizures..

At the vet's recommendation, we now have one less member of the family.:(

R.I.P Saleen :(

The day I got her..

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/440kid/008-3.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/440kid/003-2.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/440kid/006-3.jpg

I really miss her...
:(

JJs450r
04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
sorry about your dog man, but you know its probably for the best i dont know how your dogs seizures looked but our lab its just to hard to watch makes me sick to my stomache everytime

mittman
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Our golden retreiver used to get them randomly and it was after he layed down for awhile you could tell there was something wrong. Before they would start his eyes would be wide open and if you called his name he would slowly turn his head and stare at you. We tried every med out there and none seemed to helped. The only thing we found out to help him get out of them quicker was to talk to him like a person and rub him on his belly,chest,legs and then once it started to wear off get him on his feet and just slowly walk him around. It was just weird to watch him not being able to move then 5-10min(sometimes longer for other ones) later he would act like a puppy again and he would be fine.

Scro
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
My moms dog has them. And let me tell you, his were extremely violent. I remember the first time he had one. He was in the backyard, and all of a sudden he starts shaking and running around everywhere, biting at the air. Then his head started to bend back, damn near touching his back. I was young back then, and it's one of those things that's burned into your memory...very frightening to watch.

He guess he is probably 12 or 13 years old now, and we give him medication daily. We used to just give him the meds when he had one, but that really didn't prevent them from occuring. Now that he takes them everyday, they are less frequent and severe, but he still has them.

Seizures are serious, and you can't expect anybody (dog or human) to just snap right out of it. Like quadstar said, being dazed and confused comes with the territory. Ours is like yours, after about 20-30 minutes he will eventually try to get up and drink a little water. He's back to normal after a couple hours. Also remember that a seizure will drain him of any energy. Most humans or dogs tense up in almost all their muscles, and afterwards, their muscles are just tired.

JJs450r
04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
ya he lays on his side head about bent to his butt legs straight up and gets really tight

Guy400
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm not trying to be cold but my cousin's Husky had seizures for years and he eventually just shot the dog to put the poor thing out of it's misery. For years they tried medication and it seemed to help at first but then the dog started having them about once a week. It would run into things, thrash around on the ground and would be so out of control that he would end up hurting himself. The dog would cut it's head open running into walls, the fence, etc. They usually only lasted about 10 minutes. One day the dog went into convulsions and it didn't come out for like 30 minutes so we took him out in the woods and ended it. It was pretty sad watching the dog endure those.

quad2xtreme
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
once the dog has the seizure, it is like a computer rebooting. it takes awhile for the brain to reestablish all the connections between long-term memory and short-term memory, etc.

JJs450r
04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
ya it just hard to watch, and its gonna take one really bad seizure before she realizes :-/