PDA

View Full Version : Shockwears

11-17-2001, 06:13 PM
I was just wondering what shockwears are I keep hearing about them but dont know what they are

250rampage
11-17-2001, 06:30 PM
They are nylon covers that go over you shocks to keep them clean, which helps the seals from going bad. They also look pretty cool too.

stocktires
11-17-2001, 06:33 PM
Shockwears are the boot or sock type thing that go over a shock to protect them! They dont come stock, here's a pic of em on a 400 i found in the "RIDES" section! These shockwears help keep mud and water off your shocks protecting your seals! there the red things!

Guy400
11-17-2001, 06:38 PM
Have any of you guys ever had problems with your Shockwears? I had a full set on my old LT250R and when the suspension would compress the Shockwear would shrivel up a tad and then when the shock stretched back out the Shockwear would be only covering 2/3 of the shock and I'd have to peel the velcro apart on my next stop and cover the whole shock back up. Another thing I noticed was that mine seemed to hold moisture. When it was humid out and I was done riding I'd take the Shockwear off and the shock would have moisture that would condense on the spring. I wasn't too hip on my experience with them so I took them off altogether.

stocktires
11-17-2001, 06:42 PM
I have them on my 300ex & my 250r. The raer shockwear comes down very seldon. But the fronts are awesome! They never shrivel up or hold condensation on either quad. But on my 300 the shockwears wore away the paint on the springs, but i dont care cuz no one can see em n e way!

Clay
11-17-2001, 07:02 PM
I dont run the front shockwears, because of the same reason that Guy660r doesn't. I run a Duncan Racing shockwear on the rear though. I love it, and i cant let that expensive *** shock be exposed to the elements.

Leo
11-18-2001, 06:41 AM
I've found some moisture under mine after a ride.. I usually take them off when not riding.. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages, but I wouldn't leave them on the bike while it was being stored.

I bought a set when Gabe was running the group buy, and they are top-notch, I've never had a problem with them coming off, or shrivelaing(sp?) up while riding. They do a great job of keeping the local clay-mud-spooge mix off the shaft / shaft seal area.

Leo

[moving to the chasis forum]

Tommy 17
11-18-2001, 09:13 AM
I have outwears shockwears and i have never had a problem wit them except that when i take them off u can see where they rub against the paint and now my shocks have no paint left of the springs where they touch the cover. i never had them shrivel up, undo them selves, and i leave them on for months at a time, i never found water or anything in there. i will always have a set on my quad from now on. i was thinkin about if i get a works shock just go and put black tape around the spring then put the covers on over top that.

400exRacerX
11-19-2001, 01:56 PM
Yeah, thats the only thing I hate about the shockwears is they wear down the powdercoat off the shock spring.

11-19-2001, 02:09 PM
yeah the ones gabe had for the group buy are the shiznit,,,,you guys/gals that didn't order them really missed out...I don't know if I have pics of them or not,,I look see.