PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone, need some advice!

Youngblood
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey guys, I just joined the forum but have been using the site for a while. Awesome site with a lot of cool very knowledgable peeps. Anyway I'm new to qauds but have been riding streetbikes and dirtbikes for years. I picked up a 05' 400EX in pristine condition, the one thing that worries me is the guy I bought it from replaced the OEM rim lug nuts with car style acorn cap nuts, the nuts have a beveled back but as you know the rim surface does not. Everything seems tight but I dont want these nuts to end up gouging the rims up. What do you think, should I try to track down the OEM nuts or do you think I'm overdoing it? Thanks

Joe

04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I use nuts that are beveled kinda like an acorn.... I've never had a problem till i put them on my sand tire rims and torqued them down. It pushed the aluminum into the lug bolt.. Had one hell of a time getting those rims off after the trip.

Youngblood
04-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I noticed that the stud holes (all stock rims) seem to have a little "wiggle room", theyre not as tight a fit as I thought they would be, so does this mean that the bevels in the nuts are just to center the rim like a regular car rim?. Again I'm just worried about them egging out the softer aluminum of the rim and its throwing me off since the rims have no taper themselves.

Youngblood
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks 0101, you used the acorn type nuts on your stock rims right?