PDA

View Full Version : Built a track at my house

ml450r
04-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Short video of my track I built yesterday afternoon behind my house, weather was good and wanted to ride.

I had a nice track a couple of years ago, but leveled so I could land an airplane there, I built this over to the other side.

It is small, but close to home.

http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/ml450r/?action=view¤t=PICT0007.flv

http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/ml450r/?action=view¤t=PICT0009.flv

Seed
04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Links dont work for me :(

BamBam730
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Links didn't work for me either.

ml450r
04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/ml450r/?action=view&current=PICT0007.flv

ml450r
04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/ml450r/?action=view&current=PICT0009.flv

do these work?

crixal
04-22-2009, 07:25 PM
they didn't work for me, none of the links. youtube them.

Seed
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Veyr Nice, I love it. Hows the Ds450 Holding up for you so far. Looks like it flys like an eagle lol.

ml450r
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
My first post the links don't work for me. The other 2 work fine, I wonder if you have to be a member of photobucket to watch. I have some videos on youtube but the quality seems to be worse. I didn't save them on my computer, I just took them straight form the camera to photobucket. Not sure how to take them from photobucket to youtube.

It isn't much of a track, only 45 second lap times. There is a 75' double and a 90' triple. I need to make the landing on the triple bigger so it isn't so rough. Just used natural terrain.

crixal
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
they work for me now. nice track for around the house.

joeyds450x
04-23-2009, 05:33 AM
very nice! looks way better than wut i got lol

BamBam730
04-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by ml450r
My first post the links don't work for me. The other 2 work fine, I wonder if you have to be a member of photobucket to watch. I have some videos on youtube but the quality seems to be worse. I didn't save them on my computer, I just took them straight form the camera to photobucket. Not sure how to take them from photobucket to youtube.

It isn't much of a track, only 45 second lap times. There is a 75' double and a 90' triple. I need to make the landing on the triple bigger so it isn't so rough. Just used natural terrain.

I was not signed into photobucket and the links worked fine for me.

ml450r
04-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by joeyds450x
very nice! looks way better than wut i got lol

Your sig says you have a 15t front sprocket, I can't find one anywhere. Where did you get yours? Is it just held on with a c-clip like the 09's?

joeyds450x
04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Your sig says you have a 15t front sprocket, I can't find one anywhere. Where did you get yours? Is it just held on with a c-clip like the 09's?

i ordered it from can-am threw my dealer, call your dealer and theyll order you one rite away for around $20.. im not to sure i told my dealer to put it on since they were swaping my axle out for an axcalibar axle and doing the recalls, but i do remember them telling me that it was harder to put on than they thought it would be... (but theyre not the brightest tools in the shed!) LOL
i think you can get a 13t, 14t, and a 15t

ml450r
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Can you still take off in second,...

your probably running 20" tires though.

joeyds450x
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Can you still take off in second,...

your probably running 20" tires though.

o ya its not really that big of a difference, im runnin 20s now but i just ordered 18s should be here in a few weeks... im gna order a 13t and maybe a 39t for the rear depends on how long or short the track is

ml450r
04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVjYdGihQw

helmet cam from this afternoon...

It went into limp mode 9 and half minutes into my second 10 minute practice, had about a 10 minute break between them.

craigmacphee
04-25-2009, 05:36 PM
You need to grow a set and double that big double up... LOL, no way man, just teasin, don't take offense. Great bit of riding and some great video. Craig

Aussie_YFZ450
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Cool Vid.

Try taking the number plate off the front bumper and see if it still goes into limp mode.

Also bear in mind that your not really getting to any sort of high speed to get some airflow through the radiator on that track.

TNT
04-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Real soon here when we reach summer time temps of around 100 deg and high humidity in the mid-west I doubt taking the number plate off will do Mr. ML450r much good. @ 120 C(248F) your 09 will limit revs to 8,000 I believe it is, the 08's 108C(226F) to 5500.

I'm sure BRP appreciates all the Limp testing your doing(well maybe not) lol, but I am sure you are making no new revelations.
:rolleyes:

If your smart you'll send it in and get it removed!
:D

Others depending on where you live may want to do the same. Removing the limp is not for everyone, it does limit engine damage to the non-racer in the event of a fault, trail or dune riders I would leave it in unless you are going in and out of it often like Ml450r.

lynxmann
04-27-2009, 06:45 AM
This have probably already been tested but a fan pulling air through the radiator should help on these slow tracks, this in combination with engine ice ought to help on these warm days.

TNT
04-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah ICE would be good and/or some racers have added an auxilary second fan that’s always on. I think the stock fan runs off the ECU/coolant temp gage once it hits a temp lower than limp it stays on. Other thing is in the summer go get a dyno tune with a temp gun.

coryatver
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Sweet videos. Looks like a fun track.

Engine Ice is the worst coolant you could use it is Propylene glycol based and does NOT cool as well as an Ethylene glycol(normal antifreeze you can buy.) Also has many other negatives such as that it oxidizes when exposed to the air and biological fouling can occor.

If you don't believe me look up the chemicals and read the specifications for yourself!

Best coolant is normal Car antifreeze 47% with 6% redline water wetter and 47% water. Of course your dealers are not going to tell you this becuase they want you to buy the overpriced Engine Ice crap. It says right in my quads manual to use ethylene glycol mix only.

TNT
04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Sweet videos. Looks like a fun track.

Engine Ice is the worst coolant you could use it is Propylene glycol based and does NOT cool as well as an Ethylene glycol(normal antifreeze you can buy.) Also has many other negatives such as that it oxidizes when exposed to the air and biological fouling can occor.

If you don't believe me look up the chemicals and read the specifications for yourself!

Best coolant is normal Car antifreeze 47% with 6% redline water wetter and 47% water. Of course your dealers are not going to tell you this becuase they want you to buy the overpriced Engine Ice crap. It says right in my quads manual to use ethylene glycol mix only.

Not sure where your getting your facts but your wrong! Ethylene Glycol(EG) has contributed to 3,400 poisoning 1991-1994, 20% children, is harmful to the environment, has health warning's if injected. Dealers sell EG in their products.

ICE or Propylene Glycol(PG) has no health warnings, is approved by OSHA, SAE to be environmentally safe, non-toxic, non-hazardous. It's mixed with ionized water, has a boiling point of 256F, freezing -26F, an ave operating temp of 15-20F less than car coolant tested to governmental manufacturing standards.

I've used it as many w/proven results since 2004, in a YAM that would overheat on OEM coolant. Threes nothing to debate about this stuff in our industry it's proven to work by many occurrences.

ICE claims to not void the OEM warantee but it would be best to check.

coryatver
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by TNT
Not sure where your getting your facts but your wrong! Ethylene Glycol(EG) has contributed to 3,400 poisoning 1991-1994, 20% children, is harmful to the environment, has health warning's if injected. Dealers sell EG in their products.

ICE or Propylene Glycol(PG) has no health warnings, is approved by an ave operating temp of 15-20F less than car coolant tested to governmental manufacturing standards.

Very nice copied and pasted right from Engine Ice's web site lol As for where I get my Info LOOK anywhere other than Engine ICE's website lol

Research Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol and you will get your facts it is Chemically impossible for Propylene Glycol(engine ice) to work as good as Ethylene Glycol(normal antifreeze)! Look it up the boiling point is lower and the heat transfer is lower for engine ice.

Obviously the positive of using Propylene is it is not toxic but I am not drinking it I am putting it in my quad and using it resposibly and not leaving it out in the open where kids or animals can get to it. It has probley poisioned people I am sure because almost every car uses it and there are millions of cars out there and any redneck can go to autozone and buy 5 jugs of it for his leaking buick lol.

Using propylene gylcol would be great but you sacrifice the extra cooling and also corrosion due to oxydation or biofouling problems. Not worth it especially when you need the best performance you can get for racing. Not to mention regular antifreeze is WAY cheaper.

Sorry for messing up your thread just trying to inform some fellow ATVers and help save them from wasting there hard earned money!

TNT
04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Research Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol and you will get your facts it is Chemically impossible for Propylene Glycol(engine ice) to work as good as Ethylene Glycol(normal antifreeze)!

Don't make statements like that without providing fact. Give me the property, test info, and value you are referring to. You'd need a independant test in a controlled enviroment on quads ICE vs the mix you mentioned do you have it, where are you getting this info? I doubt anyone has done it! :confused:

I have first had experience with ICE. Was over heating a YAM on OEM coolant, put ICE in problem solved. Been running it continuously the past 5-years. I have no corrision build up in two quad radiators, I can show pics to proove it! :D

Been interesting to see if ML450r ran ICE or your mix if he still goes into limp?

ltr311
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by craigmacphee
You need to grow a set and double that big double up... LOL, no way man, just teasin, don't take offense. Great bit of riding and some great video. Craig

LOl Thats what Im talking about. Must be nice to have a personal play ground. That double looks totally doable. Have you ever hit it ml?

coryatver
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't make statements like that without providing fact. Give me the property, test info, and value you are referring to. You'd need a independant test in a controlled enviroment on quads ICE vs the mix you mentioned do you have it, where are you getting this info?

You ever do any research? All you have to do is go to Google. Type in Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol.

Web results will come up that have chemical properties of them. No private test or whatever is needed lol. These are chemical compounds that have properties that are accepted to be true by all scientists.

You will then see that ethylene glycol has a higher boiling point. and transfer's heat better. If you would like to discuss this further please pm

TNT
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Of course I do research, but your taking two chem properties in their purest form and comparing them, well you can't! Put them in a compound to get their usable properties and then they will perform differently in the environment you place them in. You can mix these components with different amount or types of water, etc, to change their base properties. SAE regulates what manufactures can state about there products and others like OSHA, etc….The labels on coolants are a good indicator but not the whole story in quads. Look there's A LOT more that goes into it than just looking up the properties of two constituents of complex chemical applications here.

All the research I need to do is try it and put ICE, OEM, auto coolants of sorts in my quad use a heat gun on a dyno or run it on the track. I've done the testing on a YAM and ICE was better than auto coolant and OEM. I have not tried the mix you stated, maybe there's something to it I'm not saying there's not. I'm just challenging what you stated about ICE in MY experience it's good stuff, cools well does not corrode!

No need to PM maybe this will help someone stay out of limp, that’s what we are here on open forums for. Share experiences and info.

TNT
04-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Just for kicks and grins. EG has less heat transfer per volume but is better at freezing.

Stop making statements without reference to fact to keep yourself out of trouble.....lol!

Here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-propylene-glycol-d_904.html

Still a whole lot more to this and we can't draw conclusions from it.

:D

coryatver
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
From DOW chemical:
"In most heat transfer applications ethylene glycol-based fluids are your best choice because of their superior heat transfer efficiency. This efficiency is largely due to the lower viscosity of ethylene glycol solutions. Another benefit of this viscosity advantage is lower power consumption for re-circulation pumps and a lower minimum operating temperature."

http://www.dow.com/heattrans/fsa/eg_pg.htm

I can post links all day but it is just as easy for someone else to do a search and i encourage everyone to do that and be an informed consumer. There are many variables that could have effected your little laser temperature test. The facts are facts and Ethylene gylcol works better.

ml450r
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes i have been running engine ice since i put the rossier motor in. So it is going into limp mode with ICE in it. I would like to know if Ice is better than antifreeze...Am I wasting my money?

Yes I hit the double in the video. I hit it for the first time last night, the video was made the afternoon the landing was built.

The first video shows me jumping the double( or triple), the helmet cam video was taken after the landing was built up to make it land smoother. I hit it last night, pretty strong in fourth gear on my Honda.

coryatver
04-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I would like to know if Ice is better than antifreeze...Am I wasting my money?

Engine Ice works horrible. Put regular antifreeze in it works better. Also you won't have to end up cleaning out your radiator and engine of gel crap that engine ice turns into when it goes bad.

TNT
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes i have been running engine ice since i put the rossier motor in. So it is going into limp mode with ICE in it. I would like to know if Ice is better than antifreeze...Am I wasting my money?

Do us a favor, you have some results now w/ICE, some intervals times it took to go into limp. On a close to same temp day go run the mix Cory suggested and see if the intervals stay the same, far less, or far more?

Share your finding's please! :D

ICE Cube vs Cory, may the coolest dude win! :cool:

ml450r
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Where do I get water wetter?

coryatver
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
autozone, advanced, walmart probley has it not sure

Jer250R
06-21-2009, 10:12 AM
What helmet cam are you using?

Sweet set up by the way.