PDA

View Full Version : Question about valve's

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-01-2003, 06:40 AM
Hey guys .

I am in the process of buying new valves and springs .But I do have a few questions before I do .

1) Is it wise to go with a larger ( diameter ) valves and what are your experiences with that . Do you need special machinery to do it ?

2) If you would stick to the standard size , With brand would you recommend ? I have the choice between Kibblewhite and vesrah valves .Maybe is there a better brand ?

3) what springs ( valve ) would you recommend .R/D Valve springs , Kibblewhite or another brand .

4) Should I go with Cromoly or titanium valve spring and tell me why ?

I only want the best stuff in my machine , so give me good answers . :blah :devil

tnx for your time

Kenny , a guy from belgium ...:devil

Predator36
01-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by B@ckBoneBelgium
Hey guys .

I am in the process of buying new valves and springs .But I do have a few questions before I do .

1) Is it wise to go with a larger ( diameter ) valves and what are your experiences with that . Do you need special machinery to do it ?

2) If you would stick to the standard size , With brand would you recommend ? I have the choice between Kibblewhite and vesrah valves .Maybe is there a better brand ?

3) what springs ( valve ) would you recommend .R/D Valve springs , Kibblewhite or another brand .

4) Should I go with Cromoly or titanium valve spring and tell me why ?

I only want the best stuff in my machine , so give me good answers . :blah :devil

tnx for your time

Kenny , a guy from belgium ...:devil

There is no test data available showing more power with the larger valves on this engine - Some guys are getting more flow but more power??

Brand valves - Kibblewhite - much better quaility. I would use stock over Vesrah.

Brand Springs - Kibblewhite if you are running a high lift cam at high rpm - Other wise the stock valve springs are fine.

Titanium retainers are a benefit if you take advantage of the weight savings with custom parts such as custom valve springs. No off the shelf parts for the 400ex justify the titanium retainers other than they are cool and give you bragging rights.

Sick0
01-01-2003, 10:20 AM
from what I have read, The big valves are good if you are making a motor for topend and/or if your going with a bigbore it. But if you seting up you motor for all round power and keeping the size below 440, you will not see any gain and may lose some lowend.

If you want them install you have to have your valves machine to acctept the bigger valves.

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-01-2003, 10:48 AM
I got right now a HRC kit in my motor , but i wanna bore it to a 10.8:1 426 motor .So if I am going to tear it apart I want to change the topend of my motor .

So the deal will be standard size valve's ...

Now the question is : whitch setup of of brand schould I use for my topend ?

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-01-2003, 04:04 PM
bump

y2k400ex
01-01-2003, 04:44 PM
hey B@ckBoneBelgium

How do you like the HRC kit ? what kind of powerband does that cam have ?

Thanks
Joey

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-01-2003, 04:51 PM
the HRC kit is AWSOME ,

The motor revs a lot faster , got a good low to mid end , because I can't get my nose down . After this the machine is a beast !

The mid - high band is a little bit changed but not much , it only revs a lot faster . It just keeps pulling , like a 2 stroke ....

i Love my kit for 700 $

I got a HRC Cam , A 11:1 high comp piston ( std size ) , a new heavy duty clutch basket , a special plug , all the gaskets needed , every jet you could put in your carb , and a oil filter .

It was the best money I could spend .

y2k400ex
01-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks fo the info, What dealer did you get that kit from? I have been looking in to just getting the cam not the whole kit when I build my 416 this spring.

Thanks
Joey

trx400ex
01-01-2003, 07:48 PM
lrd says they are getting 2hp more at the rear wheels with the OS valves