PDA

View Full Version : Ktm xc vs sx

yamahahaha
04-22-2009, 01:44 PM
this isnt very important but I am just wondering the difference between ktms xc and ktms sx?

SilverBomb
04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
The Motors are completely different, the suspension all around, and quite a few other little details.

bferg911
04-29-2009, 09:11 PM
whole lot different. Pretty much you base your choice on what kinda riding you do. I do alot of mountain trails , duning, and desert. The xc was best for me. If you are into mx racing the sx is better for you. Sx has better horsepower xc has better bottom grunt and torque. Both are awesome quads.

RoadRage77
10-10-2009, 07:37 AM
450sx and 505sx has NO REVERSE
450xc and 525xc - Has reverse

Also, the SX models has 41 mm FCR carbs
the XC models have 39mm carbs.

Also, I believe the SX models have higher compression 12.5-1
where the XC models have 11.0-1.. something like that..

Thats the biggest things I can remember off the top of my head. Im in the market of getting a 525 myself. So I've been really researching these things. I just looked at a 525 at the dealer last night and KTM really did there homework. Even their A arms have removable ball joint, they look a lot like Lonestar arms( I think thats the aftermarket company im thinking of)..

I also looked at the 525 polaris outlaw... ya they put fox shocks on the front but the a arms look like the ones off a banshee. no easy removable balljoints.. seat was comfy though...

Quadevil
10-10-2009, 10:22 AM
SX has DOHC 4 valve engine (fast revving) and XC has SOHC 4 valve engine.
10.3L tank in the SX, 13.4L in the XC.
WP suspension in the SX and Ohlins in the XC.
SX has full nerfs and beadlock wheels. XC don't.
SX is at 49.9" wide while the XC has 46" or something...
Razr MX tires in the SX and Razr in XC.

RoadRage77
10-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Thanks quadevil, I didn't know that the motors were that different having dohc vs. sohc.
So makes me wonder... If one had a 525 could they change out the SOHC for the DOHC ?

BTW. what is WP suspension in the SX bikes? It must too early for me to think right.... lol.

Quadevil
10-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RoadRage77
Thanks quadevil, I didn't know that the motors were that different having dohc vs. sohc.
So makes me wonder... If one had a 525 could they change out the SOHC for the DOHC ?

BTW. what is WP suspension in the SX bikes? It must too early for me to think right.... lol.

No, you can't transform a SOHC into a DOHC, that would require a complete new head and a lot of other modifications so i think it's not possible.

WP Suspension was founded in 1977 in the Netherlands and has become the largest motorbike suspension producer in Europe. WP Suspension is the main supplier for the two biggest european motorbike manufacturers, BMW and KTM. WP is owned by KTM nowadays.

So, their history speaks for them...http://www.wpsuspension.com/index.php

RoadRage77
10-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I guess I shoulda said.. If I had the DOHC head, I wonder if it would fit on the SOHC engine.
Thanks for that little info on WB suspension.. I gotta say those shocks look amazing, But I didn't see any prices for the ATV or MX shocks. I bet they are up there in price though.

quad97
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Heads won't swap. Completely different engine families. SX version is more expensive. List is over 12,000 I believe, but most dealers are selling for much less.

MtnEX
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
It's really pretty simple...

If you MX, get the SX... or if everywhere you ride is wide open, get the SX.

Otherwise, get the XC model.