PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about clutch free play

NacsMXer
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Does clutch free play increase (clutch pulls less as it is disengaged) when the motor heats up?

or

Does clutch free play decrease (clutch pulls more as it is disengaged) when the motor heats up?

Thanks!

400exMO
04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Typically clutch pull will increase as the engine gets to operating temp. Adjust it before you ride, then recheck it after acouple laps.

NacsMXer
04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
Typically clutch pull will increase as the engine gets to operating temp. Adjust it before you ride, then recheck it after acouple laps.

Alright thanks for the reply :)

I have put a new cable on and i'm adjusting it cold...but i'd like to take this into account when I make the adjustment.

400exMO
04-22-2009, 02:02 PM
The increase in free play of the cable should be small enough to adjust out with the clutch lever. It is always good practice to inspect free play after acouple laps.

NacsMXer
04-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Don't you mean the decrease in free play? You said the clutch pull will increase as the motor heats up, so isn't that the same as a decrease in free play? More pull on the clutch will tighten the cable thus decreasing the free play right?

NacsMXer
04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Can anyone confirm this? Want to make sure i'm not confused. Pretty sure 400exMO is right but just want to make sure.

Is this the case? ...clutch free play decreases (clutch pulls more as it is disengaged) when the motor heats up?

Need to adjust my clutch. Thanks.

400exMO
04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I guess you got me confused to.
The free play at the lever will increase as the engine warms to operating temps. The more amount of free playat the lever will cause the clutch to disengage less when the lever is pulled. Hope I'm clearing this up for ya.

NacsMXer
04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
I guess you got me confused to.
The free play at the lever will increase as the engine warms to operating temps. The more amount of free playat the lever will cause the clutch to disengage less when the lever is pulled. Hope I'm clearing this up for ya.

Crystal clear now, thanks. I thought you were indicating that the clutch would disengage more as it heats up...but I guess it's the opposite :p

400exMO
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Ya. This is only concerning the cable though.
I'm not quite sure what the actual clutch does when it reaches operating temps. I believe the fibers/plates will expand a little when heated. Causing the clutch to disengage less and drag more when the lever is pulled.

NacsMXer
04-23-2009, 03:25 PM
That makes sense, I was thinking along the same lines..

Just went out and got everything adjusted perfect. I had the quad on my ATV lift so I could see if the wheels were spinning in gear with the clutch pulled in. I made all the adjustments at the clutch cover, but I did leave the quick adjust on the lever all the way in so I can adjust out the freeplay as needed while riding.

Thanks for your help! :D

400exMO
04-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I would be impressed if your clutch is adjusted correctly and your wheels do not spin with it in gear and clutch disengaged.

NacsMXer
04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
I would be impressed if your clutch is adjusted correctly and your wheels do not spin with it in gear and clutch disengaged.

A.) When it was on the stand, I let the clutch out in first gear to get the wheels spinning. I then pulled the clutch in to see if they would stop on their own....they keep spinning.

B.) However when they are spinning with the clutch engaged, and I pull the clutch in to disengage it, and I hit the rear brake to stop them, and let go of the brake....the wheels do not spin.

You think it's not adjusted correctly if it behaves like this? Should they begin to spin on their own after I let go of the brake like in scenario B.)?

NacsMXer
04-24-2009, 09:50 PM

A.) When it was on the stand, I let the clutch out in first gear to get the wheels spinning. I then pulled the clutch in to see if they would stop on their own....they keep spinning.

B.) However when they are spinning with the clutch engaged, and I pull the clutch in to disengage it, and I hit the rear brake to stop them, and let go of the brake....the wheels do not spin.

You think it's not adjusted correctly if it behaves like this? Should they begin to spin on their own after I let go of the brake like in scenario B.)?

Thanks I appreciate you looking out..

400exMO
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Well I have never been able to get the wheels to stop spinning with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in. As long as you have the right about of free play in the cable you should be fine.

NacsMXer
04-25-2009, 01:57 PM
When I adjusted it at the clutch cover, I basically took out the "slack" in the lifter arm, and then I tightened it just a tad more. You know how when you take the cable completely off, the lifter arm pivots backwards and it's basically nothing but "slack"....that's what i'm talking about. That slack is pretty much no man's land in terms of clutch disengagement...it is before the point of any disengagement.

Plus by what you are saying, that the freeplay will increase as the motor heats up, I don't think I have it so tight that it will slip the clutch.

What you got me wondering now, is should the wheels start to spin with the clutch pulled in, after I let go of the rear brake like in scenario B.) I described? In other words, with the clutch pulled in, and the wheels are at a dead stop to start with, should they spin on their own?

Right now, like I described in scenario A.), they only spin with the clutch pulled in, after they are already spinning to begin with.