PDA

View Full Version : The Dreadful Ticking!!

deathcorefan2
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
IT WON'T GO AWAY!!!!!

i have changed the cam chain tensioner, not the chain itself though..that is all that is left on my checklist..and did a valve adjustment..if it was a light tick i would let it go but it is VERY loud.

also hey how can i tell if i have a hotcam!?

the guy told me it did when i bought it but im not 100%. it is important because the valve adjustment is different with the hotcam.

...so if i do replace the cam chain, and the ticking continues, what else could it be?

it is very loud. i would upload a vid but my camera doesnt work.

tri5ron
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
could it be loud enough to be a Rod Knock ?

deathcorefan2
04-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
could it be loud enough to be a Rod Knock ?

if i was mechanically enclined enough to know that then i would have been through that by now ;)

but i do not know...how loud is that? lol

RaceinCircles
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
If you have a hotcam it will be etched in saying HCblahblah.. and it will also NOT have the mechanism near the cam sprocket that makes it not turn backwards.

I still have a tick as well...I'm getting so annoyed by having to work on this thing all the time and not resolving anything, so it sits in the garage. haha

tri5ron
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
take a small ball-peen hammer,
tap on a piece of metal as fast as you can,

That's what it sounds like.

when you hear it, you ask yourself
"is this damn thing about to blow???"

answer,... YES!

but if your not too sure,
then have someone with experience listen to it,
before you end up destroying your crankshaft,
or worse yet,...snapping the connecting rod, and lunching your whole motor.

deathcorefan2
04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
take a small ball-peen hammer,
tap on a piece of metal as fast as you can,

That's what it sounds like.

when you hear it, you ask yourself
"is this damn thing about to blow???"

answer,... YES!

but if your not too sure,
then have someone with experience listen to it,
before you end up destroying your crankshaft,
or worse yet,...snapping the connecting rod, and lunching your whole motor.

dang i cant explain it..

well last time my dad brought someone "experienced" in the house he told me the cam chain won't stretch and my tensioner is the problem..there went 60 bucks.

so he will keep bringing this retard over here and it will keep costing me money. should i take it to the...dare i say it....dealership?

tri5ron
04-21-2009, 10:47 PM
explain retard

greenblood01
04-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a cam chain to me, notorious 400ex problem. You're best bet is to replace it with a cam chain for a CRF 450, it is the same number of links and is thicker, so it will not stretch as easy.

deathcorefan2
04-21-2009, 11:11 PM
explain retard

do you mean explain what i mean by "retard"

or are you telling me to explain and calling me a retard?

if it is the first one : a guy my dad thinks knows everything but doesnt

if the second: screw you, be nice. :blah:

tri5ron
04-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by deathcorefan2
do you mean explain what i mean by "retard"

or are you telling me to explain and calling me a retard?

if it is the first one : a guy my dad thinks knows everything but doesnt

if the second: screw you, be nice. :blah:
I'm done trying to help you,
good luck with your engine

fishnfergie
04-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Sounds like you just have a Hotcam, they tick like a mofo, I can here mine over my HMF

BEAVER.989
04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Everyone says the Hotcams make a lot of noise. What is the reason for this? ... Is it hurting anything?

hypersnyper6947
04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
borrow a digital camera from someone and take a vid of the sound, then post it

this will get things done the fastest rather than you trying to explain

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
borrow a digital camera from someone and take a vid of the sound, then post it

this will get things done the fastest rather than you trying to explain

ok i got my digital camera..and it has a recorder thing on it, but idk how good it is,
i took a short vid [batteries are very low] so lets see if this works...give me a second to get it on here and ill post.

thanks for the help

and wtf tri5on?

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 02:41 PM
GOT IT!

short...but i can get a longer one later today. but this might do...it is a little loud. my exhaust is loud...

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2hh3u52&s=5)

hypersnyper6947
04-22-2009, 02:52 PM
to short try to get a longer vid with more rpm ranges

ae13291
04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
how freakin high is ur idle man? and yes the video is too short make another

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
to short try to get a longer vid with more rpm ranges

ok...ill roll it outside also so the sound of the exhaust isnt that loud. lol.

here you go...i have to keep the choke on, it will die if i keep it at idle with it off..i think it is the jetting.

but i revved a bit in this longer video..
hope you can help. thanks in advance.

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=scq154&s=5)

hypersnyper6947
04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
have you set your valves to the specs given by hotcams,

I kinda feel like my old 440 motor with a stage 2 hot cam in it sounded as ticky as that does. Maybe someone with a similar engine set up can chime in and say if theres sounds the same

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
have you set your valves to the specs given by hotcams,

I kinda feel like my old 440 motor with a stage 2 hot cam in it sounded as ticky as that does. Maybe someone with a similar engine set up can chime in and say if theres sounds the same

it is .005 .006. that is what it was set to last night.

my dad said his friend thinks it might be the rockers?

what are rockers? and could it be that?

hypersnyper6947
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Rockers are what actually push on the valves, your cam hits the rockers and the rockers push the valves down, the rockers are located inside your valve cover. I guess its possible maybe there worn out or something, its really easy to look, just take off your valve cover and look at them, when you do post some pics.

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Rockers are what actually push on the valves, your cam hits the rockers and the rockers push the valves down, the rockers are located inside your valve cover. I guess its possible maybe there worn out or something, its really easy to look, just take off your valve cover and look at them, when you do post some pics.

you mean the little things you take off to adjust the valves? i could go take pics of that right now. how do i know if they are worn, ill go take pics.

hypersnyper6947
04-22-2009, 03:41 PM
no not the things you take off, under those things is your rockers, when you are adjusting your valves, its actually the rockers your messing with.

Check out this ebay item, you can see in the pics the rockers when they show the valve cover upside down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-trx400ex-400ex-valvecover-valve-rocker-cover-_W0QQitemZ400039475412QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2009032 6?IMSfp=TL0903261210007r3297

brodzowski
04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
This is going to sound silly and remedial (kinda like asking does it have gas in it) but that's sorta what mine sounded like when the header pipe/gasket wasn't sealed. Before it gets too hot wave your hand around in front of the exhaust in the front and make sure there's no air leaking by. I put a ratchet on my header bolts and snugged them up and wah-lah. It's a long shot but it's easy insurance.

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by brodzowski
This is going to sound silly and remedial (kinda like asking does it have gas in it) but that's sorta what mine sounded like when the header pipe/gasket wasn't sealed. Before it gets too hot wave your hand around in front of the exhaust in the front and make sure there's no air leaking by. I put a ratchet on my header bolts and snugged them up and wah-lah. It's a long shot but it's easy insurance.

some oil does come out around the exhaust some times..how would i fix that?

motox92
04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I highly doubt its your crank.....It seems like your in over your head with everybody telling you other things...Its hard for us to tell you what we think is wrong if were not actually there for ourselfs

cam19aro86
04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I think its your Hotcam, the only way you will get rid of it is put in another stock cam. I've got a stage 1 and it ticks like hell also. Make sure your valve lash is correct and you are good to go.

Sanddraging28
04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
after watching your video's, let me ask you a couple questions

1. what is done to that motor?

2. have you ridin it at all while the bike is making this noise? If so how does it run?

3. I see that your header is painted, did you remove it from the bike to do that? if so are you sure the header bolts are tight?

4. where do you think the noise is coming from? front, right side, back, left side, deep inside?

there are alot of things that can make a noise on these motors, head gasket, header gasket,loose spark plug, cam chain,cam,rockers.

try and narrow it down a little for us and we may be able to help.

hotcams are known for being a little loud. i dont think i have heard one that loud before.

deathcorefan2
04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Sanddraging28
after watching your video's, let me ask you a couple questions

1. what is done to that motor?

2. have you ridin it at all while the bike is making this noise? If so how does it run?

3. I see that your header is painted, did you remove it from the bike to do that? if so are you sure the header bolts are tight?

4. where do you think the noise is coming from? front, right side, back, left side, deep inside?

there are alot of things that can make a noise on these motors, head gasket, header gasket,loose spark plug, cam chain,cam,rockers.

try and narrow it down a little for us and we may be able to help.

hotcams are known for being a little loud. i dont think i have heard one that loud before.

1. hotcam stage one as far as i know
2. yes, it ran fine as far as i know, but i have not ridden that many 400ex's so i do not know how they run in the first place. :confused:
3. yes it is tight, it made the noise before the header was painted...
4. i seems like it is coming from near the valves, when i get closer to the top of the motor it seems to be louder.

i don't think a hotcam would make that loud of a tick.

matt14c
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Umm I guess ill ask cause no one else has but are you at TDC (top dead center) when you are adjusting the valves? Its definitly in the head either the adjustment or the rockers. I had to replace my rockers because I went to long out of adjustment and it was a loud clapping noise more than a ticking and if you take the head cover off it should be pretty evident that you need new rocker arms or not. I would replace your chain just because its a good thing to do but I dont think its the problem. I would find a friend to help before taking to a stealership unless you have money to burn. Your dads friend prolly is just pissing in the dark unless he works with fourwheelers.

bigbad400
04-23-2009, 05:47 AM
mine has sounded that way since i got it and i cant figure it out either, runs fine lots of power, not out of adjustment, plugs tight, headers tight, and i use full synthetic oil in it everytime i change oil. its not gonna go away, just keep an ear out for it to get any louder or different. i dont know if mine has a cam, never had the top off the motor that far. im sure its stock thow by the way it runs.

deathcorefan2
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
well i have heard a lot of different things on what it could be but last night i got a free 416 piston from a friend so me and my dad are just going to build it, 416 11:1, port and polish and some other stuff.

should be fun..and fast!