PDA

View Full Version : carb question

d10ward
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a post in the wanted section for the 450r carb. i got this as a reply and since i don't know a whole lot about them I thought i'd ask if this was a good deal or not.

"I have an 05 carb with the tps cut. the idle adjuster is missing but you can easily just put a bolt in there and use that as your adjuster.the plastic choke lever is broke but i never once needed to use it,i would just hit the throttle twice before starting and it always fired up. this was on a 400ex. 30 plus shipping"

Thanks

richards
04-22-2009, 06:46 AM
The TPS being cut is fine as you do not use that on the 400ex.

The choke lever is fine as you will remove that since it will not fit on the 400ex.

The idle adjuster will be more of a PIA. He is right you can just find the right size bolt and use that to adjust the idle. But then instead of turning something with your fingers from the left side you will have to get a wrench on a bolt on the right side close to the header where you are likely to burn your hands trying to adjust the idle.

All of the idle adjuster parts will run about $25 from Service Honda.

You will need to buy a 450R throttle cable and fuel hose unless those come with the carb. Those are cheapest from Service Honda as well and will cost another $25 or so.

As long as the carb is in good condition it sounds like a decent deal even including the other parts you need to buy. Used carbs complete with all of the parts above are usually in the $100+ range.