PDA

View Full Version : 2009 yfz 450r

yamahahaha
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Is it the fastest bike out there??

greenblood01
04-21-2009, 10:57 PM
For the money, yes. If you're not on a budget I would say the KTM is the way to go.

yamahahaha
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
I thought so to but in a recent magazine(quad or dirtwheels?) in their 450 shootout they said the yfz r had the most power...? Would it b much faster than the regular yfz with the mods i have done to it(look below) cuz that's what I have now and am debating upgrading to a yfz r

daddio
04-22-2009, 03:12 PM
In stock trim, the R is a little faster. The advantage of getting the R, is that YOU will be able to ride it a lot faster, because it handles so much better than even a full race YFZ.

jersey devil
04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by daddio
In stock trim, the R is a little faster. The advantage of getting the R, is that YOU will be able to ride it a lot faster, because it handles so much better than even a full race YFZ.

I second that!

hotshotgoal30
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
dirtwheels said it tops out at 70. fastest quad? no not with a top speed of 70. but noone races tracks at 70 anyways

jersey devil
04-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
dirtwheels said it tops out at 70. fastest quad? no not with a top speed of 70. but noone races tracks at 70 anyways

Well if you are going to race the track then you change the gearing?Fast as hell then!

04TRX400EX
04-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by daddio

Are you actually trying to convince others that a stock YFZ-R will out-perform a full race quad? If you honestly think so you obviously have never ridden or seen a proper race quad. The R is a great handling and performing quad but will not touch a race-prepped TRX, LTR, YFZ or whatever. As far as stock quads go, it is still second to a KTM.

I personally think asking what quad is "fastest" is pointless because being fast is a combination of so many factors - it's not just how much power your engine produces but how the chassis and suspension handle the power, and most importantly, how good the rider is.

daddio
04-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Are you actually trying to convince others that a stock YFZ-R will out-perform a full race quad? If you honestly think so you obviously have never ridden or seen a proper race quad. The R is a great handling and performing quad but will not touch a race-prepped TRX, LTR, YFZ or whatever. As far as stock quads go, it is still second to a KTM.

I personally think asking what quad is "fastest" is pointless because being fast is a combination of so many factors - it's not just how much power your engine produces but how the chassis and suspension handle the power, and most importantly, how good the rider is.

I have seen plenty of properly set up race quads, and we have 3 full race YFZ's, that held there own last year in the WORCS and ITP series in the pro class. The quad of choice in our camp this year is the YFZR.
I know it's hard to believe, but the new YFZR IS that good. Dustin Nelson himself was considering racing a stock suspended YFZR, but Roll and Ohlins convinced him to run their stuff.

Roll it out of the box, put a pipe on it, and it's competitive in all but the National Pro class.

You Sir, have obviously never rode one.

I really can't say anything about the KTM, as I (or my rider) have never rode one. Spec wise (on paper) they should be very competitive, but I never see too many at the races we attend.

All I'm saying is that 95% of the am. racers out there will be faster riding a YFZR, than they were riding their full race YFZ.

Ride1Rob
04-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I did hear that the new suspension was pretty good but I'm skeptical also comparing it to a full race quad. If it is just that much better than a Full Race quad someone forgot to tell Keith Little :ermm: .

I had the chance to see another one this past weekend and got to speak with the owner. He basically said in stock trim the YFZR was a faster bike and he loved the way it handled as well. I had the chance to ride it but passed it up (Not real big on riding peeps bikes that I don't know). It definitely looks like an all round better bike in every aspect.

jersey devil
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I believe alot of the posters have not been on the new R and if they get the chance take it for a spin and decide for yourself.
It is a nice quad and Yamaha really done there homework.I'd say most will be impressed for sure.

coryatver
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Rumor is that the new yfzr has castor issues. Houser racing is making a bracket for it that fixes it

Ride1Rob
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by jersey devil
I believe alot of the posters have not been on the new R and if they get the chance take it for a spin and decide for yourself.
It is a nice quad and Yamaha really done there homework.I'd say most will be impressed for sure.

I'm impressed just from looking at it lol. To me it has the sleakness of a sportbike.

yamahahaha
04-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I am more worried about racing a ktm 525/505, if I put a pipe (fmf) and a k&n filter will it b faster than a ktm quad

TAPS1972
04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Why is it 415 lbs.
The 08 is 350lbs.as is the non R 09
Im thinking about sellin and gettin an 09R
My friend ownes the 06SE mines the ltr
Love the fi.
but 415lbs,how did it gain 65lbs.

MAaudioX10
04-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I thought it was 405 lbs.....anywho, 405 lbs is the wet weight. 350 is the dry weight.

Also need to consider, that 3 more inches of width and EFi add weight.

RATPACK Z400
04-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Personally I think ktm,yami,suzuki,all with good riders would do equal i like the suzuki the best ,dont like alum frame quads at all and never will ,just hope suzuki does,t go that route in future!but weight in that small #s shouldn,t be a factor in performance there too small ,things get changed anyway with aftermaket parts to change #s anyway.people alway fighting over weight that wouldn,t make a difference to the avarage racer! and theres alot that say they can tell the difference thats a joke!Only the top pros could know if a quad was ten pound heavier than another.

coryatver
04-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by TAPS1972
Why is it 415 lbs.
The 08 is 350lbs.as is the non R 09

the YFZ weights more than 350 pounds. Yamaha's weight spec low for the yfz.

TAPS1972
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
55 or 65lbs is huge on a "race" quad
were not talkin 10 or 15lbs.
Thats like strapping a GOOD sized child to ur front bumper.

RATPACK Z400
04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I can understand if the weight is in the very front or back you can feel it but in over all no you cant tell the difference. thats like urging over a hp or two you cant possibly gain an advantage unless your a pro rider, not trying to be a prick.And yes the yami looks awesome glad to see some balls from another brand make a REAL mx quad(width wise) like Suzuki,ktm,Can-am, will see if that alum frame does what they say it will ,and maybe change how the other do things Im just not sure on alum on frames kawi looks good so far and I hope the yami does the same then hondas are coming soon as well!I personally think Chromoly is the way to go like BMX bikes ,more room for you to get to motor and work on it!

jersey devil
04-26-2009, 01:53 PM
What seems to be the concern with the aluminum frame?

RATPACK Z400
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Braking ,corrotion, weak points , no vibration,frame needs to be thick and it hard to get to things wires,sparkplug etc, in frame and takes up alot of room that a chromemoly frame wouldn,t.if they just gusseted the chromemoly frame it would be fine.IMO same weight on paper with alum so wheres the advantage?the kawi/suzuki weigh about the same .one has steel frame one has alum.you cant tell me 4in axle and a-arms weigh that much.

04-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
The 2009 yfz450r is a very well built machine and it is wet weight. What about that cant you guys understand?

From what I was reading the wet weight it just about the same as the reg. YFZ. They don't show the Wet weight of the YFZ on yamaha.com and they don't show Dry weight of the YFZR on there.

daddio
04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Our YFZR in race trim weighs about 20 lbs more than our race YFZ with the same amount of fuel in it.
We are also down about 3 hp on the R compared to the YFZ.

But my rider refuses to ride the YFZ anymore. The handleing and power delivery, more than make up for the extra weight and less hp. (stock the R had 5 more hp than our stock YFZ did, but the YFZ seems to respond better to the normal hp changes)

He is faster on his R and his best finish in the ITP series was on an R.

Carry-on.

RATPACK Z400
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
i use to ride BMX back in the 80s-90s had friend that rode pro(troy Mc murray) and he rode only chromemoly frames(Standard) only cause alum bikes broke so often, he told me chromemoly handles the stress of the big jumps the alum couldn,t. and Bmxer are putting lots of stress on those frame as we are so it kind of makes sense to me to go chromemoly. there frames cost 200-500 and it would take 2 1/2 bmx bikes in chromemoly to make atv frame so cost isn,t that much and just a good gusset job and frame would be sweet and air can get to wires/hoses/motor and excess heat build up wouldn,t happen and you can get to things easier. just my thoughts on the alum frame deal.not bashing alum frames just like chromemoly.like what ktm did.