PDA

View Full Version : new eton 70 viper

vindell
04-21-2009, 07:15 PM
not sure if you have read previous threads, however seem to me after cleaning carb once with carb cleaner and w/o air and once w/ carb cleaner with air, by the way replaced bowl gasket due to a tear. quad seems to run much stronger. was this problem due to the torn gasket. previously listed thread about low compression. when you read a compression guage that started at 10, in other words is it accurate? Could the torn gasket, or possible the throttle adjustment screw o ring being not correctly positioned caused a leak in the test. kinda snaffood theta the dealer told me carb issue not compression issue, would'nt the dealer go for the gusto, w/ the top end r e - build. Once again the thing takes of great but seems that the powerband is over very fast

dwhst9
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Sounds like your gauge doesn't register anything under 10psi, but that's OK. Make sure the gauge insert is threaded completely and snug into the head. Make sure to hold it WOT while kicking the motor over. Keep kicking it over until the gauge doesn't read any higher.

Post your test results here before going any further.

vindell
04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
not sure guage is accurate, is a tech of mine's. the guage starts at 0, but the needle starts at11lbs. took reeding and subtracted 10. bad guage, still wondering can a bad seal on the float bowl, or throttle adj. o-ring be the culprit of a low compression check

vindell
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
not sure guage is accurate, is a tech of mine's. the guage starts at 0, but the needle starts at11lbs. took reeding and subtracted 10. bad guage ?, still wondering can a bad seal on the float bowl, or throttle adj. o-ring be the culprit of a low compression check

JAG Motosports
04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
No, neither one would effect comp.

vindell
04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
re-checked compression w/ new guage, pulled a little over 100lbs! relaced all gaskets,and o-rings on carb. guess I had a bad guage. What is a good compression on a stock machine. Took exhaust off, noticed alot of build-up, cleaned thourouly, with a tissue to block from entering cylinder. gonna attack pipe at shop tommorow in the parts washer ! Would this be enough to block the exhaust flow. getting some great advice from a bunch of graet people !!!!! P.s should the exhaust gasket be replaced at this time?

EthansDad
04-24-2009, 08:55 PM
compression varies, but over 130lbs should be a good target. did you hold the gas wide open during the test, and after using the electric, kick it a couple of times? you need to do that to get a good read. for the pipe, yes, I would replace the pipe gasket if you have not done it in a while. for cleaning the pipe, I took ours to a radiator shop and had it dipped. that cleaned it up real nice.