PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain timing

monkeyballs
04-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, im rebuilding my bike and right now. im currently putting it together. I am somewhat confused with the valve timing. They say 2 put it to tdc on the comp stroke.. They want the line line on the fly wheel lined up with the one line on timing hole. Here is where I am confused, when I took it appat I rememer lining it up so that the 2 lines on the FLY WHEEL are in the middle of the one line on the timing hole. But I might be worng. Wich lines do I line up? And how can I make sure its right? Well thank you take care. I want the spark to occur at compression not intake :-s

honda400ex2003
04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
i would recommend the how to that pappy did for the cam i think, but you line the T up on the crank side and make sure the cam is down and the lines are straight across for the short version. it is not too bad. then onvce you get the one bolt on the cam in you have to rotate to the next stroke to get the bottom bolt in. then you can make sure it is good by going through a whole revolution with it. steve

honda400ex2003
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

this one will get going in the right direction. i did not read it now but i have read it in the past and recall it showing how to do it. it should it is the valve adjustment how to. steve

monkeyballs
04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Thank you verry much, but you said so its a straight line. In the guide it sais line up the 2 lines on the fly wheel and the one on the timing hole. :-s Take care

Bracer Buechli