PDA

View Full Version : Geared Down, General Impression.

Newrider08
04-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I installed my 14 tooth sprocket today to gear down from the factory 15 tooth sprocket.

I took it for a ride for about an hour, I cant really say I notice much more low end grunt but I do notice one thing that is nice. When riding around slow with the stock sprocket I would have to be high revving in first or too slow in second.

Now with the 14 tooth I can leave it in second gear and trail ride without shifting between 1st and 2nd.

All in all I would say it was a worthwhile investment and I might try a 13 tooth sprocket later to see how that works for me.

I am running

Stock engine
white brothers e-series
14 tooth sprocket
Sparks Timing Advance Key
20x11-9 Razr2 rear tires
22 inch Razr2 fronts
uni foam filter
Choke removed
Carb Rejetted

honda400ex2003
04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
nice, good to hear that you like the 14. I was hoping that you would. steve

shawn3389
04-22-2009, 03:14 AM
i found mine would wheelie way easier with the 14......:)

rinaldi
04-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Did you guys need to remove a link in your chain by going down a tooth?

Pabst_Powered
04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
theres no need to shorten or lenghten your chain unless you go down or up more than 1 tooth, your chain will also have a even number of links at all times

richards
04-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I tried 14, 13, and now am running a 12 tooth. Stock chain length is fine with all of those.

I ride tight trails so keep that in mind... Have 22" rear tires because I need all the clearance I can get and that effectively raises the gearing versus smaller tires.

So far I am split between the 12 and the 13. With the 12 first gear is really short, but I still use it in occasion for crawling over rocks or nasty obstacles. But in general 2nd is low enough for any hill I have come across. Top end with this setup is still somewhere above 50mph in fifth gear and that's honestly more than I ever need where I ride.

But am going to swap to the 13 again for the next trail ride to see if first becomes more usable but still low enough for crawling over stuff.

Newrider08
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
wow I have never heard of anyone running a 12 tooth on a 400ex, I guess it would hook up good with those 22's

I like the feel of the 14 on the trails and I do not do any really technical rocky riding but I ride alot of trails and hills so the 14 tooth will be good enough for me I think.

I do like the idea that I can ride in second gear instead of going back and forth between 1st and 2nd and I really dont think the 14T made the 1st gear too low, in fact I think its about right.

I will update this in a couple weeks when I have more time to ride it.

richards
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah the 22's give you about 10% taller overall ratio compared to stock tires so that's close to a 1 tooth change on a front sprocket.

Around here I need the 22's and could use taller still to get through the rocks and also the huge ruts left by the utility riders.