PDA

View Full Version : engine noise?

450R NOOB
04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
So I was riding today and I jumped off my 4 wheeler to check a mud hole and I noticed a noise coming from the engine. This may be regular but I couldn't tell. It was a kind of grinding noise but not like a bad grinding. It gets faster with the rpm's. Just wondering what kind of noises your 450r's make and if I should be worried. It might have been more on the right side (clutch side) but I couldn't tell.

04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
the 450r's have noisy engines its normal

mymastifftucker
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Most of them are a little noisy, but be carefull. Mine was a "little" noisy twice........and the motor was rebuilt by Honda both times. If its not a noise that you heard before you should check it out. Easier to do a little PM now, than a big repair later.

450R NOOB
04-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I got a honda mechanic to listen to it and he said I should adjust my cam chain tension. Does anyone know how to do this.

JJs450r
04-25-2009, 02:15 PM
my motor made a loud ticking noise and when we tore the motor apart for the rebuild, the cam chain had a few kinks in it, replaced it and the noise went away, i think you need a speacial tool or a really tiny flat head not positive though

d3ktrix
04-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 450R NOOB
I got a honda mechanic to listen to it and he said I should adjust my cam chain tension. Does anyone know how to do this.

There is no way to adjust the cam chain tension on these engines. The tensioner has a spring in it and just always pushing the chain guild against the chain to keep to taunt.
If the chain is too loose and slopping around even with the tensioner installed, then its time for a new cam chain.

All you have to do is pop the valve cover off and see if the back side of the chain is taunt.

450R NOOB
04-25-2009, 05:15 PM
All right thanks. I figured I needed a new but the guy said adjust it so I didn't know. Yeah a tiny flat head works JJs450r