View Full Version : Fast help for Head Studs needed

cruncher
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Replacing a blown head gasket. Got the new gasket on, torquing down and two of them just spin after 25 ft/lbs.

How can I get these studs servicable? I am supposed to go on a riding trip tomorrow morning. Yes, a last minute job.

Anyone?
thx.
cr
:scary:

Pipeless416
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
helicoil is about all you can do at this point if you must have it by tomorrow. i'd recommend GTT HD studs though. same thing happened to me.

cruncher
04-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm a bit of a newby on this thing. Can you explain GTT HD studs? Can this be done without pulling the cylinder?

thx

droppedmazda
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
he means gt thunder heavy duty head studs. i dont relly like them but they work. if want the best i've seen, go to the home page and get t&t motorsports phone number and call and talk to jimmy. he sells a set for $85 and puts them in for $55. you'll have to pay shipping but they are the best IMO. the helicoil might work for a ride or two but i wouldn't recomend that, they might not be able to put the studs in if u put the helicoil in.

Pipeless416
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
just curious as to what is different between the studs?

also, here is a picture of the GT Thunder studs next to the stock studs.

droppedmazda
04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
the studs that jimmy has are way bigger at the bottom and a little longer. when i got my bike it had gt thunder head studs and i blew a head gasket. ireplaced them with the ones that i have now and i feel alot safer. i have a 14.1 440 piston. they might work on a trail bike pretty good, but on my drag bike i want the strongest parts i can get.

cruncher
04-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Damn. Looks like my trip is a bust. Maybe next time. Looks like I will be pulling the cylinder off and taking it to the shop.

cr