PDA

View Full Version : Wheels???

luigi
04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a 2004 trx450r that is all stock cosmetically. I am looking into get black rims, most likely beadlocks. I ride through trails in the woods and in the sand. Since I don't have a lot of money, what type of rim should I buy and where would be the best place to get it?

exrider12
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
You could get your front rims powder coated black by Pappy. And get douglas ultimate bead locks for the rear. Try to get the bead locks through C&D Racing. They have there own sub forum near the bottom of the sub forum list.

Hope this helps!

Turboderf
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
save your money and buy Hipers call this guy best $$ in town 717-226-6022 New

BlaineKaiser450
04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Hipers break. Go with DWT and C&D can help you out

Turboderf
04-21-2009, 04:10 PM
If you hit something hard enough anything will break .... i think hipers are the toughest wheel out

motofreak2772
04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
for woods Im sure hipers would be fine, I mean how will you break a hiper i the woods? and plus the carbon fiber rings would be more flexible and allow you to take a few hits without bending the rim. I do plan on getting DWT rims next though. I wish Hiper made aluminum rims with the carbonfiber rings... I think that would work out nice.

luigi
04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks for the tips, does anybody have any pics of the wheels on their quads for me to get an idea of what I want?

Turboderf
04-22-2009, 02:04 PM
here you go red and blue Hipers

mymastifftucker
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
You would have to hit something pretty hard to break a carbon fiber wheel, and to hit something that hard would damage any wheel. Hipers are super light and with the rings you can have "new" looking wheels for $50. I love mine!!

fastredrider44
04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I love my hipers

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/fastredrider44/100_0064.jpg

luigi
04-22-2009, 07:53 PM
how much did this cost for all four rims?

Turboderf
04-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Turboderf
save your money and buy Hipers call this guy best $$ in town 717-226-6022 New
when i bought mine it was 670.00 shipped to florida call this guy hes the cheapest i found

fastredrider44
04-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by luigi
how much did this cost for all four rims?

I buy used stuff alot. Lets say I got a good deal.:D

hendershot106
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Turboderf
If you hit something hard enough anything will break .... i think hipers are the toughest wheel out

thats nice...... what are we supposed to do about the POS's leaking off air continuously?????

GO WITH DOUGLAS THEY ARE the MOST reliable, and toughest.

They do not leak off, and you dont have to buy new rings all the time.... you can pc or paint them to make them look like new , and the inner you can polish to look like new.... hipers leak off, and look like dogturds.

i would pay more for a 10 year old set of douglas wheels than a new hiper wheels

johnsoninc86
04-23-2009, 11:56 AM
to each his own. Desert racers like aluminum because it bends instead of breaks, and they can atleast finish a race on a bent rim. I will say that racing XC, I have seen 1 hiper break, and that was by a crazy A-class racer. He bounced it off a tree at about 30mph. Now, how many people out there run hipers? How many have you seen broken? The good thing about Hipers is that if you somehow do manage to break one, you buy whatever piece you broke and reassemble it. As for leaking air, I don't know where you heard that all Hiper wheels leak air. I have heard of 1 leaking air because the oring was bad in between the two halves, and there again, it was fixed by replacing the oring instead of the whole wheel- maybe a $5 fix?

Again, to each his own, but this guy is asking about what would be a good overall beadlock, and he wants black. He could go with either aluminum or hipers and be perfectly happy. They are both great wheels. Just don't go around dragging hipers through the mud because you happen to like aluminum more. They both have their pros and cons. Aluminum doesn't hold paint or powdercoat for crap, hipers scratch, they both look like poo when ridden hard. Hipers also have a bad habit of the beadlock ring bolts seizing in the inserts, but thats only if you don't use anti-sieze in the threads. Aluminum strips, they both do it.

To the original poster, if you want black beadlocks, pick either Hipers or DWT. They are both quality beadlocks and will both suit your needs perfectly. I personally like the look of the hipers over the DWT, but thats me.

D Bergstrom
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Just got these yesterday, the new Douglas wheels, Rokout front and G2 rear beadlock. They also make the front in a beadlock if desired. Included a set of mud plugs, a hat, and some stickers. It is there "champion in a box" setup.

Doug

hendershot106
04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by johnsoninc86
to each his own. Desert racers like aluminum because it bends instead of breaks, and they can atleast finish a race on a bent rim. I will say that racing XC, I have seen 1 hiper break, and that was by a crazy A-class racer. He bounced it off a tree at about 30mph. Now, how many people out there run hipers? How many have you seen broken? The good thing about Hipers is that if you somehow do manage to break one, you buy whatever piece you broke and reassemble it. As for leaking air, I don't know where you heard that all Hiper wheels leak air. I have heard of 1 leaking air because the oring was bad in between the two halves, and there again, it was fixed by replacing the oring instead of the whole wheel- maybe a $5 fix?

Again, to each his own, but this guy is asking about what would be a good overall beadlock, and he wants black. He could go with either aluminum or hipers and be perfectly happy. They are both great wheels. Just don't go around dragging hipers through the mud because you happen to like aluminum more. They both have their pros and cons. Aluminum doesn't hold paint or powdercoat for crap, hipers scratch, they both look like poo when ridden hard. Hipers also have a bad habit of the beadlock ring bolts seizing in the inserts, but thats only if you don't use anti-sieze in the threads. Aluminum strips, they both do it.

To the original poster, if you want black beadlocks, pick either Hipers or DWT. They are both quality beadlocks and will both suit your needs perfectly. I personally like the look of the hipers over the DWT, but thats me.

Dude, did i ask for your criticism?

Hipers leak (no wonder tire balls sell so well in gncc).... they are almost double the price of Douglas.

Nuff said.

Keep your mud dragging comments to yourself, the guy was asking for experience/recommendations.

In the end we will both agree on one thing tho.... dont waste his or anyone else's time with any beadlock other than douglas or hiper.

johnsoninc86
04-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
Dude, did i ask for your criticism?

nope, but the OP wanted an opinion, which I gave. I wasn't trying to step on any toes, I just didn't understand where your facts were coming from. simmer down...

Originally posted by hendershot106
Hipers leak (no wonder tire balls sell so well in gncc).... tire balls sell well because of tire PUNCTURES, not leaky rims. Even the guys that worship Douglas like yourself run tireballs...

fastredrider44
04-23-2009, 01:56 PM
My hipers don't leak:D They both have their pros and cons. find a set and buy what you like.

Turboderf
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
no leaks for me

luigi
04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
anybody have any used hipers or douglas's for sale?