PDA

View Full Version : Prototype FUELATV intake setup

ltr311
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Well here is some prototype pics of the fuelatv intake. Basically same basic design that has proven so well on numerous machines. 5 inch adapter and 5in filter. Ill be testing the 5 and 6 inch filter, as well as box and boxless. To see what works and what doesnt. Hopefully I can have testing done in the next week and Fuel can have something available soon. Ill keep you guys posted. Fuelatv uses only the best filters and have proven to work over and over again. Here is a few pics.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/Nismo311/DSC01801.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/Nismo311/DSC01802.jpg

dbkbushwacker
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Finally, now I can get rid of my crappy velocity filter.

TNT
04-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Think theres been some confusion this compared to the Fuel Custom Intake-FCI. One of the biggest bottle necks in the air intake is the rubber intake manifold, that is what the FCI replaces it with a hard molded plastic and we mate it to a large K&N filter. The shape of the FCI will allow big air to come into the manifold, get compressed somewhat for low end torque. I'll have a pic soon…this does not compare you'll see. My entire intake and fuel delivery has been designed to deliver wide band power and torque…Now I just got to proove it w/some dyno and test ride results.

Don't forget we have a Ambient Air Pressure and Temp Sensor in the airbox. One guy from UK has experienced reduced performance from it getting gloged from dirt and elements. I suppose you could relocate it to a hole in the intake(not sure) and remove the box, how that would work since it reads a pressure differential to the MAP sensor in the TB I don't know.

We wont loose our box, don't see a need in our case we have plenty of air. I know DASA removes it but rebuilt to attach in mud.

I'd like to see what you get drive w/your mods w/o the box. We may even try but it's a beast to get in and out. :rolleyes:

ltr311
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I havent taken the whole tube off to look at it, but from looking at it in the machine, it dont look to be a restriction. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks Driver

TNT
04-21-2009, 06:28 AM
You can't see air flow just at a glance unless you got a trained eye, you need a flow bench to measure it or a wind tunnel. But if you know anything about the venturi's and thermo dynamics and what makes velocity and pressure it should be obvious the FCI used industry wide will out perform the stock rubber intake. Rubber is highly restrictive, this shape and the nature of the it's temperature absorbtions(expansion and contraction)(DO NOT RELCOATE YOUR AAPTS IN IT). There's a reason why the race teams replaced it with metal last year and hard molded plastic like FCI this year(ask DASA and Protec). Trust me! Call the designer at FCI for more details: http://www.fuelcustoms.com/

Maybe we'll test the stock intake to the FCI just for kicks that should be easy to swap.

ltr311
04-21-2009, 06:44 AM
I know Garrett. I talk with him often about different projects. He is making me an intake for my ktm as we speak. No need to convince me about his product. I know it works. Time will tell if he can capitalize over the stock ds tube.

TNT
04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by ltr311
I know Garrett. I talk with him often about different projects. He is making me an intake for my ktm as we speak. No need to convince me about his product. I know it works. Time will tell if he can capitalize over the stock ds tube.

O, ok, I misunderstood. The time is now it's on our quad it will be tested tonight or tomorrow night and I can tell you for a FACT it will be a drastic improvement! :cool: :D

You know it's interesting here since there is temp involved we can't simulate on the dyno. We'll we could but the real test with a product like this is on the track.

andiboy123
04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
my question is ,why you put that big intake and filter, reallyty is that the tube that goes into the tb is not that big, you are putting a real big filter, just like the yfz use bu you dont really have that big hole like yfz do, but insted we have a huge diference, we have a straigt tobe going into the tb shooting air straigt to the tb and yfz have that huge intake hole but dont have thar air flow we have i have a bigger filter tahn stock but u put a 3"k&n filter insted of that 4" filter. now i did took my air box out bad for your ds if you dont have a power comander to set the engine, using the pink wire and filter no box engine was getting too much air , and its really stop my quad i conect the air preasure sensor but it dint work once i put my box back engine came back to life, let me say mine is bone stock, only a filter and a slip on, no head pipe like any body else and no cam mods like every yfz i know an my ride runs preatty good

LT-R450 131
04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
PMd you driver

TNT
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Lets see if I can explain this…..

First off as you can all hopefully imagine the designer of the stock intake track(filter, manifold, TB, intake elbow) designed it as a system that worked on a flow bench. What I mean by "worked" is a lot of things, He/she was able to take ambient filtered air in an air box and manipulate it to do certain things….. That can be very detailed, but basically to take velocity(air) in a vacuum and transpose it to vacuum pressure at a certain temperature and humidity, mix it with fuel at a certain flash point, and ignite/combust. The EFI was designed to these system parameters too.

Now if you take part of that system, lets say the filter and over size it one can imagine that changes the system. Now we have a bigger air potentially into a rubber small stock restrictive intake manifold, TB, elbow, that is designed undersize to take in the additional air flow and manipulate it poorly. Remove the air box and another system change that affects air flow and EFI parameters to the ECU. Specifically temp and pressure.

The theory behind the FCI is to take big vacuum air and funnel it down to a chamber that builds pressure, provides smooth low turbulent flow and tempature fluctuations, and allows the EFI pressure and temperature differentials to reduce and become more efficient. You'll notice a big difference if the diameter of duct along cross sections of length of the FCI vs stock intake tube to illustrate my point. We sent our stock box, filter, rubber intake to FCI to redeisgn that portion effectively, we did the rest(TB, ETC.)

One can see why removing the air box with a large filter may not allow the pink wire ECU to remap to the AAPTS input parameter or determine the correct fuel deliveries, especially dependant on where you place the AAPTS. Hence add a PC 3 and especially 5 that can compensate, put the AAPTS in a location iT can read properly and be safe from the elements.

The DS is just a different animal than the YFZ. The YFZ has plenty of high velocity air to the combustion chamber for low end torque, the intake track is much smaller than the DS and can get air to combustion chamber faster! The DS we have big volume slow air, slow moving unless again we can effectively manipulate it to get the low end torque up like the YFZ whilst at the same time giving it big mid/high end power and torque.

As I was writing this got a call from my son they just fired us up for the first time…..The FCI and filter was a hard to get in and we had to take out the whole front end of the box and make some frame mods. We need to get some info back to FCI for the production unit. We should have some dyno results tonight.

ScottB125
04-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Rossier already makes an inlet like that...that one looks like a Rossier.

X400EX
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by ScottB125
Rossier already makes an inlet like that...that one looks like a Rossier.

That's what I was thinking!

ltr311
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Similar but different. And the filters are totally different. Ill take some closer shots of inside the filter so you can see the difference. Its also a 8 gauge or ply filter vs. the 3 guage or ply filters most others use. This filter makes killer power. You'll see why in the pics.

Blizzard24
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I think what we need to see is a basically stock bike or three mod bike, getting dyno numbers from a worked motor means nothing as those same % gains would not be the same vs a stock motor.

Take a stock bike w full exhaust either pink wire mod or FMI and dyno the intakes.

FCI
vs
FuelATV
vs
Rossier
vs
Stock
vs
K&N bolt on.

IOWAracer
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
^^^^
Agreed send me something Ill test it:devil:

ltr311
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Im hoping to have the fci intake soon to test. Ill post all testing info. I did some initial testing on the fuelatv intake and good gains are there. Im waiting for the finished product before posting results.

Claas900
05-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Its nice to see other ppl doing what we have been doing with the Cdale for a few years. The airhorn is worth a few hp.