PDA

View Full Version : Works or Yamaha front shocks ?

rigger
04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
I have read about the guys that are running stock YFZ450 front shocks on plus 2 front ends on the R and they seem to be very happy with them.

I have a set of Works tripple rate, non rezzie front shocks that came with my project R. As far as I know, they were built for a 180 pound rider for a plus 2 front end. I am about 160 with out gear. And they look to still be in pretty good shape.

I was thinking of sending them off and having them re-built and valved for me since I already have them. If they do not need springs, then it should be around $200, plus the shipping, to have them gone through.

Or...

I have been watching YFZ shocks on ebay and they seem to sell for about the same price. So do I sell the shocks I have and spring for some Yamaha shocks or would I be better off running what I have?

For those of you that have ridden them, what shocks would be better to use for the money spent?

04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
So you're saying you haven't even tried the shocks yet and you want someone to tell you if they're going to work good through a computer?:huh Depending on how much gear you wear, those shocks should be just about right for your weight, anyways. Why not bolt them up and take it for a spin before swapping them out for some Yamahaha shocks? No offense, but you weren't kidding when you came up with your user name, huh?

love2rideatvs27
04-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I had triple rate works w/ rezzies on my 86 250r and I hated them. They were good for trail riding and small jumping but if you hit anything big it was almost a guaranteed bottom out. I've never rode with YFZ shocks on a 250r so I have no clue what they would feel like. I did have a set of YFZ shocks on my banshee with plus 2 a arms and I loved them. I could jump the hell out of that thing and they would always soak it up with ease. Since the 250r is so much lighter than a Banshee, I'm just curious if they would be a little stiff in the trails. Hope this helps a little. I'm building an 89 310r right now and it has stock shocks as of right now. I don't know what kind of shocks I am going with just yet but I know I'm definitely not going with works.

rigger
04-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Maybe I was not clear in my post but I did mention this was a project R. It is no where near being able to ride so I have no way to test out what I have right now.

My question is, for $200 bucks, what is the better set up for the front end? 200 to set up what I have now or 200 on the Yamaha shocks?

Flyin_250r
04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
why not sell the works shocks, use that money on the $200 and buy a set of 250r shocks built for plus 2 a arms? Ive seen some nice sets of elkas going for around $400 so it wouldnt be a whole lot more and at least then your getting something meant to be used and setup for your quad exactly. Just my $0.02 which is obviously worth just that, $0.02.

rigger
04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I have thought about doing something like that too. Mostly what I am doing now is a lot of homework to figure out what is the best bang for the buck. My R is no where near being ready to ride so it is time well spent on asking questions and trying to figure out what are good, and cost efective set ups for it.

Mostly what I will do with it is just play and trail ride. Maybe once or twice a year it may hit a track but I really like to keep my wheels on the ground. I will jump some but I don't try to fly.

I wish I new for sure what my Works were really set up for. If they were close enough, then I don't have a problem with using them for a while. But if I have to spend a good chunk on them to get them set up, then I was thinking of selling them and putting that money into something like the Yamaha front shocks. From what I have read, the Yamahas would work as they are but the Honda shocks would have to be built right and that would double the moeny invested. So then the Yamaha front end would be better dollar wise.

But back to my original question, lets just say the Works are set up good enough to ride. What set of shocks would be better in the woods? The Works, stock Yamaha's or rebuilt Honda's ?

love2rideatvs27
04-21-2009, 06:01 PM
well for your type of riding then you would probably love the works. As far as trail riding and small jumping the works were great. I just couldn't jump like I wanted to with them. I would be patient and give them a try, when the R is together, before spending any money.

dynofox
04-21-2009, 06:02 PM
What about 450r shocks? I picked up a pair of brand new take offs on ebay really cheap last summer, had them re-valved and re-sprung for my 250r with +2's and its a pretty sweet set up for the xc type riding I do. I've got less invested into this set up then I would a pair of the cheap non adjustable works shocks.

05LSR250R
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a set of Works Triple Rate Remote Rezzy shocks! Mine were valved for a 200 pound rider and A class MX. Marc Baldwin did the work. These shocks have never let me down! I also do a lot of XC type riding. I weigh 175. +2 Laeger arms. Ive takin some huge hits with these puppies! Just mt 2 cents! BTW I think Works can do the valving for alot less than 200 bucks!

rigger
04-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I had talked to Works once before, and I have to say that they were the best and most informative people that I have spoken with, and they gave me a worst case price of around $325. That would be if they needed major over hauls and springs. But I don't think they would need all that.

I was using the $200 dollar number becasue I know a guy in Georgia that does great bike work and he said he would be glad to do my atv shocks.

He said with out seeing them, it was hard for him to say for sure but it would be around $80 a shock for a good rebuild and about another $30 per shock for a revalve.

I am starting to lean towards just keeping them for now and trying them when I get mine up and going. Unless I run across a real good deal on something else that is set up right for me.