PDA

View Full Version : Nitro R/C owners!!

redlineranger
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Whats up guys, I just recently took a HPI Savage 21 on a trade deal, and it was the last year model that the 21 was made (don't exactly remember what year that was).

Anyways, its been so long since I've been around the Nitro R/C scene that I don't know half of what im looking at anymore, so basically I'm just looking for some ideas on Savage's in particular, or just R/C in general.

Posts some pics if you like, lets see those money pits!!

TWISTED DINLI
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
my new Traxxas Revo 3.3. my Proline Bow-Tie tires and Proline LPR half offset wheels will be herre tomorrow for it! cant wait.

TWISTED DINLI
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
are you going to be at the track or racing any? or just mostly bashing?

shok47
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Before coming into ATV's I was all into nitro r/c. It was the same addition as ATV but at a lower cost. I put $1000+ into my truck with the best of the best; Unlimited Engineering. Alot of people are against aluminum because it bends. They like to go for RPM which is lifetime warranty on breaking. I had RPM a-arms but I kept bending my hinge pins because the energy had to transfer to the weakest spot in the link, which was between my alum bulks and a-arms.

But heres what i got. The body was my first paint. It look me forever because i didnt have time, so it sucks close up.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/6123/dsc05762lm4.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3820/dsc05763xv6.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1521/dsc00050ab6.jpg

honda400ex2003
04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
i have t-maxx 2.5 and a rc-10. I lik the t-maxx alot it has never let me down and i raced it for 2 years. steve

TWISTED DINLI
04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
just got tires and wheels for my revo today!:D
pics were taken form my cell. thats why they look kinda crappy. and my revo needs a bath lol

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/TWISTED_DINLI/Myrevo3.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/TWISTED_DINLI/Myrevo.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/TWISTED_DINLI/Myrevo2.jpg

ATC_KING
04-21-2009, 03:03 PM
have you guys seen the new traxxas that looks the a trophy truck? and if so what is it called? and maybe some pics

250x_kyle
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
i think your talking about the traxxas slash or possibly the.
this is my brothers rear wheel drive slash but there is a new 4wd slash comming out in may. my brother has 2 decked out t maxx's, 2 electric rustlers that are pritty much decked out, a couple scale truck, a couple crawlers, decked out emaxx and his slash.
sorry for the crappy pic.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/slash.jpg

TWISTED DINLI
04-21-2009, 06:25 PM
traxxas also makes a slayer wihich is a nitro version of the slash. but it has a revo platform. but the chassis is longer i believe, to make it look more scale. it has the same suspension setup as the revo and the great 3.3 engine. its a very easy engine to tune.

F-16Guy
04-21-2009, 06:25 PM
All I can say is that a good engine will make it or break it. If you have a crappy engine, you'll spend the entire time you own it chasing it around trying to keep the engine running. If you want a good engine, I would look for a O.S. engine. There are some other good brands out there, but I have never owned an O.S. engine (car, plane, or otherwise) that didn't run awesome and hold a tune almost perfectly. You can try out the HPI .21, but if it gives you trouble, I'd eBay it and get something else.

eastside 400
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
twisted, you might want to check out a Davis Diesel Connecting Rod for your engine, towerhobbies has them and so does Ebay, ebay has the best price, worst part of the 3.3 is the conrod, ive had one break which takes out piston and sleeve with it so for 35 bucks u might wanna put one in now. I have a revo 3.3, Jato 2.5 and Tmaxx roller.

Anyone interested in the Jato or Tmaxx roller im trying to sell them, jato is ready to run and i will include everything to do so. Tmaxx needs a engine and servo. 150 for each

redlineranger
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
That's a couple of sweet rides yall got there. My Savage 21 is old and I don't even know if they will be able to get parts for it but if i can just get it runnin good and get a decent looking body on it im gonna sell it for something new.

But then again I might just keep it cause I love to go out bashing with these things.

What is the best radio at the lowest possible price? I have servo's in the truck I just need a radio and I'm sure some new crystals. I just need something reliable that work good with the Savage.

Speedy 400ex
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
All I can say is that a good engine will make it or break it. If you have a crappy engine, you'll spend the entire time you own it chasing it around trying to keep the engine running. If you want a good engine, I would look for a O.S. engine. There are some other good brands out there, but I have never owned an O.S. engine (car, plane, or otherwise) that didn't run awesome and hold a tune almost perfectly. You can try out the HPI .21, but if it gives you trouble, I'd eBay it and get something else.

I can say that i have had that problem, i sold all my nitro's because of it. I don't have any experience with the Traxxas motors tho.

04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Save yourself money and go electric. :chinese: You'll go faster to.

I run a Team Associated T4 and B4

F-16Guy
04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Converted to brushless maybe, but you'll end up spending more $$$. A cheap 1/10th scale brushless system is at least $160 and can go to $300, A 5000mah Li-Po pack is $150+, then you have to have a Li-Po compatible charger, and you can't get anything wet, so I still think nitro is the best bang for the buck if you know what to buy. Right now, I'd say a Savage for monster truck style bashing, and a Revo 3.3 for racing and bashing where you want a little better handling. I have to say that for as tall as it is, though, the Savage is really stable. My advice for this situation is to get a cheap radio (you don't really need dual rates, EPA, or exponential for a basher) and a good .21 class motor and drive the crap out of it. It won't bring much money if you try to sell it, especially as a roller.

shok47
04-22-2009, 03:42 PM
+1 on the OS engines. Holds a tune perfectly, and their customer service is one of the best I dealt with.

Which 450?
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED DINLI
traxxas also makes a slayer wihich is a nitro version of the slash. but it has a revo platform. but the chassis is longer i believe, to make it look more scale. it has the same suspension setup as the revo and the great 3.3 engine. its a very easy engine to tune.

The slayer uses the 2.5 revo chassis, which is slightly shorter then the 3.3 revo chassis.

I have a redcat rampage 1/5 scale, traxxas slash brushless, hpi hellfire, losi micro desert truck, traxxas nitro stampede, ofna gtp, traxxas nitro vee, and Im sure theres a couple Im forgetting about.

This is my redcat

Which 450?
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
redcat with my new body

Which 450?
04-22-2009, 07:46 PM
slash

Which 450?
04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I got alot more pics, dont feel like posting them now. I also work at the local hobby shop.

Which 450?
04-22-2009, 07:52 PM
my slash is brushless. Lets add up what I got into it to make it like that...

slash kit $200
mamba max 6900 BL $220
Venom 2S 5000 lipo $100
Ice Charger $100

Mamba now has the sport system, which is about $130. So figure $500 to go brushless including a battery and charger. You will spend a little less if you buy one that is brushless from the factory. As far as I know the slash isnt available brushless yet, but the rustler and stampede are.

04-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Electric is usually more expensive for the initial set up but it will save you money in the long run. I have owned both and will never own another nitro again. A nitro is figured to be about a 1:2 ratio of drive and repair. You drive it for an hour and you spend a half hour fixing it and that's words from the pro's. There's a chart at the local track here (Intermountain R/C) that shows the average costs of pro's in 2004 to race gas and brushless. If I remember correct the average set up for a gas was like $650 with everything but the radio. Throughout the year they spent around $2,600 in repairs for the entire season.

Now a brushless set up (which was done with a T4) costs around $800-900 for initial set up not including the radio but there repair costs which mainly only came from crashes was on average less than $500.

Nitro is more maintanence period. That's not opinion, but fact. :chinese:

Speedy 400ex
04-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Ya i secound that. I spent hour's taking care of my nitro's. My brushless Rc 18b i can charge up and drive when ever i want. I beat the hell out of that thing to.

TWISTED DINLI
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
ya but you can get a longer run time out of nitro than an electric truck/car. and all you do is fill up and continue. electric you have to charge the batteries all the time.
i would still like to have a brushless truggy or buggy some day but i def wont give up the nice smell of nitro and the cool sound lol.

04-22-2009, 09:52 PM
ya but you can get a longer run time out of nitro than an electric truck/car. and all you do is fill up and continue. electric you have to charge the batteries all the time.
i would still like to have a brushless truggy or buggy some day but i def wont give up the nice smell of nitro and the cool sound lol.

No offense but it's peeps like you that are spending the most money fixing their nitro cars. :o I used to run Nitro at the track and any person that races Nitro seriously will tell you that they need their cool downs. Even if you buy 3 batteries for an electric, especially with Li-Po, they need to cool down between heats. (By heats I mean races) Heat is the #1 cause for people having to replace motors in Gas and Electric. Now if there were cooling systems for nitro it would be a different story. It's not like a quad where you can re-fill them and keep running them without much worry.

Which 450?
04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
you think nitros bad? Wait till you get a gasser!

F-16Guy
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
you think nitros bad? Wait till you get a gasser!
I want one of those HPI Baja trucks. Those things are as sick as it gets. I don't know if I can part with $1400 for one, though.:(

Which 450?
04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
The red white and black one you see pictured is a redcat rampage, they are just shy of $700 new, you need a radio and receiver to run though. I have about $1500 invested in mine, including a futaba 3pm, and it rocks, not quite as fast as a 5T/5B, but its 4wd, handles like a dream. and I can spin all 4 tires on asphalt from a stop.

04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I want one of those HPI Baja trucks. Those things are as sick as it gets. I don't know if I can part with $1400 for one, though.:(

I want the sand rail. Can't remember what it's called right now. Those things would be sick at the dunes. lol. Paddle's for them are like $110 bucks though. :eek2: That's a shlt ton for R/C tires. lol.

JForestZ34
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Nova
No offense but it's peeps like you that are spending the most money fixing their nitro cars. :o I used to run Nitro at the track and any person that races Nitro seriously will tell you that they need their cool downs. Even if you buy 3 batteries for an electric, especially with Li-Po, they need to cool down between heats. (By heats I mean races) Heat is the #1 cause for people having to replace motors in Gas and Electric. Now if there were cooling systems for nitro it would be a different story. It's not like a quad where you can re-fill them and keep running them without much worry.

If your nitro is tuned right you can run them all day long without a problem.. When one receiver pack would go dead I would cut the engine change the battery in 2 mins and start it right back up and go for broke. And everytime never had a problem.. The richer the motor the cooler it runs, now if your doing nothing but racing hardcore on track and your leaning out the motor for max power, then yes your will burn that motor out real quick... But for the average backyard hobby guru that won't be any problem...

James

honda400ex2003
04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
I put 4.5 gallons of gas through my t-maxx without a rebuild. that is a ton of gas for an rc. I used to race with that too. I have never had any problems with the truck unless i did it. there was no breaking because of part failure. case and point i ran mine into a post at 40mph and blew the whole left front tire just about off. it was not the trucks fault i ran it into it. there is no rc anywhere that is going to hit a post for a mailbox that is concreted in and survive to tell about. I would never buy a savage after racing with some. That is the problem, why you guys stick so much money into them cause they blow. I never once saw a guy at the races that was not working on their hpi stuff before a race. they would get to the line and die then we all had to wait for them to get them started before we could run. just my opinion though, steve

TWISTED DINLI
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
I put 4.5 gallons of gas through my t-maxx without a rebuild. that is a ton of gas for an rc. I used to race with that too. I have never had any problems with the truck unless i did it. there was no breaking because of part failure. case and point i ran mine into a post at 40mph and blew the whole left front tire just about off. it was not the trucks fault i ran it into it. there is no rc anywhere that is going to hit a post for a mailbox that is concreted in and survive to tell about. I would never buy a savage after racing with some. That is the problem, why you guys stick so much money into them cause they blow. I never once saw a guy at the races that was not working on their hpi stuff before a race. they would get to the line and die then we all had to wait for them to get them started before we could run. just my opinion though, steve

thats why you buy a traxxas lol. i love my revo

F-16Guy
04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
I like the 3.3, but I couldn't keep the 2.5 running to save my life. Maybe just bad luck. I think the T-Maxx is a little heavy for a .15 engine anyway. I port-matched the sleeve and case and knife-edged the conrod on my CV-RX .18 and it would flip my T-Maxx over backward with no problem.

416exfreak
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I cant keep my 2.5 running either.

It runs great for about 10 minutes, then it'll cut off and WILL NOT start until its cooled off completely.

Im thinking about putting it in the paper, selling it and getting an electric 1/10 scale buggy or truck.

I like running mine on my track at home. Its cool to see the TMAXX sailing a 60 foot double:devil:

wishmasstir
04-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I've been down both nitro/electric roads many times, you can't say one is better than the other. Honda/Yamaha, Chevy/Ford, Nitro/Electric ... its the same battle. I do have to say that Electric Brushless is huge right now .... all the manufacturers are making conversions for all the popular nitro models out there

pic of my mbx5t

F-16Guy
04-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

It runs great for about 10 minutes, then it'll cut off and WILL NOT start until its cooled off completely.

Im thinking about putting it in the paper, selling it and getting an electric 1/10 scale buggy or truck.

I like running mine on my track at home. Its cool to see the TMAXX sailing a 60 foot double:devil:

My advice would be to get a O.S. .18TM, a .18 CV-RX (you'd have to convert to a side pipe, but it's easy), or get the new .21TM (I think it's still a bit over-priced for a .21, but it's a drop-in). Another option is the Traxxas 3.3. From what I've seen, they don't have the problems that the 2.5 has. I think the 2.5 is just too small for the vehicles they tried to put it in, so it would get smoking hot and shut off like yours does. Mine did the same thing even if I ran a smaller pinion, an aftermarket head, and kept it rich. Once I got the O.S., I could run all day without a flameout and without messing with the carb. It was way more fun.

416exfreak
04-24-2009, 01:05 PM
My advice would be to get a O.S. .18TM, a .18 CV-RX (you'd have to convert to a side pipe, but it's easy), or get the new .21TM (I think it's still a bit over-priced for a .21, but it's a drop-in). Another option is the Traxxas 3.3. From what I've seen, they don't have the problems that the 2.5 has. I think the 2.5 is just too small for the vehicles they tried to put it in, so it would get smoking hot and shut off like yours does. Mine did the same thing even if I ran a smaller pinion, an aftermarket head, and kept it rich. Once I got the O.S., I could run all day without a flameout and without messing with the carb. It was way more fun.

Think you could post a link to a good place to buy RC parts?

Its been like 3 or 4 years since ive been "into" the hobby.

The help is MUCH appreciated! :)

TWISTED DINLI
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
A Main hobbies have great deals on stuff.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/

F-16Guy
04-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I get most of my stuff from either eBay, Tower Hobbies, or Hobby People

www.towerhobbies.com
www.hobbypeople.net

416exfreak
04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I think I've decided im going to get what I can for the TMAXX and just go electric.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting an electric 1/10th truck?

What brand, which truck? Availability of hop-up parts?

Thanks to anyone who responds! :)

TWISTED DINLI
04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
ive heard great things about the E-REVO brushless.

Which 450?
04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

This is just a tuning issue, you are lean.

wishmasstir
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
ive heard great things about the E-REVO brushless.

great truck but this version runs $650, your set though because they rip and they come with a 2.4 ghz radio. You could look at just the e-revo if you want to save some bucks they run around $450 or so. Thats your best bet for bashing and hop ups too, you can buy anything for those trucks.

If your looking at used check out rctech.net

JOEX
04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Since this evolved into an electric r/c thread (the way it should be:devil: )....

Are A123 batteries still around?

04-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Since this evolved into an electric r/c thread (the way it should be:devil: )....

Are A123 batteries still around?

As far as I know they aren't sold new anymore individually. They are in power tool battery packs if you were gonna make one yourself. But I could be wrong about selling them individually.