PDA

View Full Version : still need some help with carb

vindell
04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Took carb apart at shop, followed a fellas advice on a how to site, took some time, but I beleive it's clean, sprayed alot, covered a few holes and reprayed, back and forth, cleaned all jets, and what not. noticed bowl gasket is broken, missing around an 1/8 of an inch. also in the cleaning I seemed to have lost a little o ring for the throttle adj screw. Will either of these two thing's decrease performance. The quad seems to take off, great low end then seem's to level out. any other ideas, it's a 2005 eton 70
2 stroker. stock bike. the only thing I did was removed the oil injection system. Must the thing be re=jetted, since the oil system has been removed.had at dealer for compression check, they said dirty carb.

etondaddy
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Did'nt you take comp. and get 80psi. if so you need to ring it. 80psi cold is not good. And I would forget anything that shop told yea......

Mike Kozura

vindell
04-25-2009, 04:46 AM
re-checked compression w/ different tool, read a little over 100lbs
however forgot to hold throttle open. Will this make it lower or higher

etondaddy
04-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by vindell
re-checked compression w/ different tool, read a little over 100lbs
however forgot to hold throttle open. Will this make it lower or higher
It will make it higher. Is that cold or hot. If cold when you get it hot it will come down about 10psi or so. It's time for rings.

Mike Kozura

vindell
04-25-2009, 05:29 AM
the reading was cold, gonna re-check this morning, will post results

vindell
04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
had pipe dropped at of at radiator shop today, fella dipped it, and tol d me it was nasty dirty. getting ready to take it for a spin now, will keep ya posted, thanks for your advice, once again. Did not get a chance to re-check compression at WOT yet, will do in athe am

vindell
04-26-2009, 04:23 AM
wow, smoke was almost unbearable, ran for about 20 minutes, still real smokey, raed an intersting article about carb tuning, involved rich and lean conversation, I beleive when i went to 40:1
mix, I am now running too rich, more gas - less oil. does this sound right. The article suggests that I lower my needle jet clip a position to raise needle for less smoke. This carb thing is like a crossword puzzle to me,

Bill Lemans
04-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Did you ever recheck your compression ? If it's that low, do what etondaddy said. You will have nothing but tuning issues if your compression is low. If your rings are worn the blowby will make it smoke more and under powered.So would the oil mixture, so will a rich condition. How do you know at this point ? Start with the rings if your comp. is low........

Don't assume that the oil is creating a rich mixture. Oil isn't part of the true mixture. It will do things like smoke, leak black , even make it run worse, if there's too much or too little.In other words, too much oil doesn't mean your mixture is richer.More like dilluted, but the ratio of air to FUEL hasn't been changed unless something changed the amounts of gas and air.

Once you figure the compression question, try the oil as 50:1 if it's a synthetic on a stock motor.
For the jetting, use your plug as a gage . If it's light brown the mixture is good, or close......
If it's very light to white , it's lean.
If it's dark,dark brown and wet it's too rich.
Now you can start with the items that could make it too rich or lean. Dirty carb,filter, jetting, leaks, etc.

I didn't read all the threads, so I don't have the history, but just thought I'd throw in some basics ideas cause it doesn't seem like the compression has been verified yet.

Good luck