PDA

View Full Version : wont even try to start. where do i start?

chargercalvin
04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
well it wouldnt start before but i seem to have made things worse. i have to roll start my 99 300ex because of a starter problem. i tap the starter with a hammer while i tried to start it to see if the brushes are bad. and sure enough that was it. i kept messin with it and touching a screwdriver to the solonoid and stuff wich helped it turn over. after a while of this i lost connection with the battery...the neutral light wont even come on. all my basic connections are good and i and jiggled everything around to see if it is a connection thing. did i blow some kind of fuse? maybe one of the black boxes or something? what should i do and where do i start? i can still roll start it but i need to get it starting the right way asap. any advise will help i dont know where to start....:ermm:

nakomis0
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
It sounds like I might have the exact same problem as you. It just happened this weekend. I got by by jumping the silinoid, it should start for you if you do that..

As far as how to fix it. I don't know.

I'm going to start by doing a voltage test on my key switch wires. - If those are good, then...

I'm going to do the same test on my starter button. - If that works fine... then...

I'm gonna scratch my head and stare at it for a few hours.

MnBluePits
04-21-2009, 02:03 AM
not sure about your year modle but on mine there is a fuse i have a 93 look in your handbook if u have ti and see where the fuse is .. u might wanna get a tester and start tracing down your hot wire and making sure its still good??

chargercalvin
04-21-2009, 06:30 AM
well it wont spark or anything when i touch the battery cables to the terminals. the switch stays on(its not even there just wired together). how can i tell where the hotwire is if its just not getting juice. i mean the soloniod wont even click? i will look for the fuse, would a tester show voltage anywhere if juice isnt even getting to the solonoid? coild it be one of the many little pod things, or black boxes up front? can those things just burn out like that?

and thanks for the help so far
-calvin

chargercalvin
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
fuse is good. all conections are good. where do i go from here. no current so i dont think i can use a dmm? can i?