PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help!!!!!

CaptainCanuck
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
My desktop computer, when restarted, only loads up the wallpaper but refuses to load up the desktop. The screen is completely blank aside from the background picture. I tried recovering it when it loads up, but I don't have the disc it needs (it's in a box at my parents house 3 hours away thanks to moving home for the past couple of summers) so that\s not an option.

Is there anyway I can get my desktop to load up somehow? If I can do that, then I can get my computer to restore itself to a previous date.

It's Windows XP by the way.

scuzz
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Restart your computer and after the BIOS screen goes by hit F8 repeatedly until you're prompted to load into Safe Mode.

Once you get into safe mode try it should work. Now what you'll have to do is do a system restore to a previous date.

Hopefully you have system restore on. This isn't the silver bullet fix, but it should be the eaiest for you to do and get back working.

Scottt89
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Like someone above said, restart the PC in safe mode. Once you are in, go to Start-Run-MSCONFIG, look at the startup tab. Look through there and disable everything but what is needed. This will also speed up how fast your computer boots. Then restart and see if that doesn't fix your problem. Sounds like you have something starting and crashing when Window's loads.

CaptainCanuck
04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Got it back in action. Thanks guys.