PDA

View Full Version : Lets get this topic going

300cc power
04-20-2009, 05:26 PM
lets get this topic going.. Im interested on hearing tips, and advice and just ideas.

Pappy
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM
What do you want to know:p

300cc power
04-25-2009, 01:47 PM
anything

Cool Guy07400EX
07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, I see this thread went pretty far..I learned quite a bit. Not gonna lie.
:blah:

jonboy
10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Dont know if it is considered farming but I built a v shaped drag that acts like a box blade to grade my driveway. It works like a champ. I'll post pics soon.

woodsracer144
12-22-2009, 09:03 PM
try me... i can fill you in with all the farming stuff you would like to know... or alot of it...

RTJ
12-30-2009, 01:55 AM
i put a tractor poll on here no one responded
i can answer alot about snuff/chewing tobacco
i live in an area where the majority of it is grown its actually a small area central/west ky/tn

woodsracer144
12-30-2009, 04:40 PM
where is the poll at? i didnt see one

RTJ
12-31-2009, 06:50 PM
not sure, stayed up long time with no interest. iguess the admin. took it off

honda300EXtreme
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by RTJ
i put a tractor poll on here no one responded
i can answer alot about snuff/chewing tobacco
i live in an area where the majority of it is grown its actually a small area central/west ky/tn

i just found the new sections here..

i see this section could use some CPR.

so learn me somethin about this tobacco.

RTJ
01-10-2010, 01:49 AM
i'll try. what would you like to know

honda300EXtreme
01-10-2010, 01:51 PM
teach me somethin bout chewin tobacco

RTJ
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
chewing tob is what this area is famous for. mine actually goes into GRIZZLY smokeless varities. you start out pretttty simple by transplanting in may/june. june/ july you tend to it by keepin the weeds out the insects off and the suckers from coming out. there are chemicals we use for all 3 but they dont always work. so a lot of the work is done maually. july/august the plants reach about 6' and bloom out. you have to walk and brake the top out of each plant.then with alittle luck in 8 or 9 weeks you begin the harvest. you cut each plant off at the top of the ground and put 6 plants on a stick by using a very sharp pointed tool called a spike. many people have been hurt eith a spike. noe each plant is on a stick so now the real work begins. you place every stick in a barn. this is very physicly demanding work. once it is in the barn the curing/firing begins. this coNsist of filling the barn floor with strips of wood and then covered with sawdust.this is a aprocess that is 25% LUCk 25%PRACTICE 50% PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE GENERATIONS it is fired for 3 to 4 weeks then you take back out of the barn a stick at a tjme and each individual leaf is pulled off of the stalk.the leaves are put in big boxes and the stalk is thrown away. we haul the boxes to the company and they do their thing.this is the basic process. any questions i'll give em try

honda300EXtreme
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM
grizzly mint = good stuff haha

i have always wondered about how chew is grown so thanks for the info, is making snuff a similar process? is it just a finer ground version of the same leaf?

any insight on what the companies do to the leaves before they are sent to the stores in there pouches, ive always wondered how they do the flavoring of both types of smokless tobacco

RTJ
01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
your right chew and snuff are the same only ground finer and maybe little different flavoring. years ago they would grind it to powder and people actually snorted it. as far as what the company does. when we deliver it. it is took out of the boxes and kinda chopped up and put in wood barrels and aged for a while. i'm not sure how long. the mixture recipe is top secret. it is done in three stages at three different locations. each location only knows what they do and not the other two. only a board of execs knows the whole recipe. this sounds a little drastic to me but that's all we've been told. the future doesn't look to good for the growers. what used to be several little companies have been bought up by RJR and PHILLIP MORRIS. they dont care if the quality remains .as long as people continue to use it they can have it grown in canada, mexico brazil, africa, etc for a lot less money. i have seen this tob and it is very poor quality and doesn't have as many regulations as far as how it's grown or what chemicals are used on it

honda300EXtreme
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
that really is ashame all of the small companies getting bought up in return for loosing more jobs.

i never knew the recipe was that secret to be honest. but for a person like me who uses smokeless tobacco its always nice to know what happens to the stuff your putting in your lip.

thanks for the info man, i know i found it interesting.

you seem to have alot of info on this do you grow it or something?

RTJ
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
yes i've been around it from the time i was in my father and grandfater's way. until now i'm 48. been alot of changes in my time and i have heard about the old days until i thougt i was there. i have a 13 yr old it doesn't seem like he wants to make 4 generations but you never can tell

honda300EXtreme
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
ya never know, if the economy stays the way it is your son might be thankfull that he has that to fall back on, i wish i did.

honda300EXtreme
01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
did u say that ur tobacco is used in grizzly products?

RTJ
01-12-2010, 01:55 AM
yes so we were told when we signed our contacts. we signed with conwood limited. conwood was a very old family company. now it belongs to R.J.REYNOLDS. RJR IS THE #2 CIGARETTE COMPANY. winston salem ,camel and many other brands. i've got a very few pics.. i can't get them on here for some reason but i can send them via email. this next crop i'll take severall more pics

honda300EXtreme
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
thats crazy, to think im talkin to the man who probably picked the tobacco in one of the cans ive bought.

RTJ
01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
if you dip grizzly. odds are sooner or later you will if not already

woodsracer144
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
wanna ship me some under the table?

honda300EXtreme
01-12-2010, 04:18 PM
yea a can a day, 365 days a year, about 6 years, i say the odds are good

let me just say you are the man

hahah

honda300EXtreme