PDA

View Full Version : fuel dumping out on startup????

trailrider894
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
went to start up my 400ex just a minute ago and when you start it ( no choke ) it dumps fuel all over the swing arm??? what is up with this???? should i re-jet?? or what??

Newrider08
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
it is the over flow hose, tap the carb with a screwdriver to see if it stops and if not pull the carb off to make sure your float is not stuck

it is not a jetting issue.

trailrider894
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
it does stop after the quad starts. just wi'll cranking over it does it.

Tommy Warren
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
just shut the gas off at the petcock until you get the float fixed. make sure you turn it back on before you run the bike LOL

trailrider894
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
IT ONLY DUMPS GAS WHEN YOU ARE PRESSING IN THE START BUTTON. not when it is running,off,sittin still. only when cranking on it.

BULLET99Z28
04-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Replace the float needle. I battled this problem with my carb for months- cleaned and inspected the carba 3-4 times before I broke down and bought a new float needle. Works perfect now, zero fuel leaks from the overflow tube. The float needle has a rubber tip, over time it deteriorates and doesnt seal properly, allowing the fuel bowl to overfill, thats why you are getting the the fuel drainage. Are you pumping the throttle when you crank it over? That actuates the accelerator pump, filling the bowl with more gas, thats what its supposed to do, more gas for when you are under throttle, keeping the bowl full, thus allowing the jets to supply fuel to the intake stream. Not sure what it costs from service honda, but my dealer charges 32 bucks, well worth the hassle. Very easy to replace btw.