PDA

View Full Version : Axle grease

jaysun
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I have read all the post on how to remove my old axle carrier and install the new one. I think I can handle it....

I bought a complete new sealed axle carrier. My question is... Do I need to pre lube the inside of the carrier?? Also I have a grease fitting on the outside of my new carrier. After the install what kind of grease do I use to fill the carrier...??? I'm a little nervous with making sure I get the install correct. I'm close to just taking it some where and having it done, but feel I would be stupid not to at least try!!!:rolleyes:

jcs003
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
use marine/waterproof grease.

honda400ex2003
04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
yup, i use amsoil waterproof synthetic grease it works great for the joints on the cars and such. steve

alberto
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
jaysun,

Dont give up man:) I am doing the same thing on my son's 01 400ex. I was asking the same question on my own thread. I haven't received to many replys but, that's ok I'm still going to attempt the install this weekend. Here's what I plan on doing:
1)replace o-rings on axcel and new carrier
2)purchase grease gun. Just like yours mine has a grease fitting as well
3)clean out the housing on the swing arm throughly
4) grease housing
5) install carrier
6) install axcel
7) install new sprocket
8) brake rotor
9) PRAY to GOD that I didnt just screw everything up!!!!!!!!

In my opinion messing with these quads is half the fun. Good luck and have fun.

I WOULD POST PICS BUT FOR SOME REASON I CANT FIGURE IT OUT.:devil:

honda400ex2003
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390612&highlight=carrier

heres a good how to on the whole thing. you can put some grease inside the carrier part to help the inside of hte bearings, you take the carrier out to get to the grease fitting to pump grease inside it, that should be about it. steve

04-21-2009, 02:05 AM
make sure you have some snap ring pliers.. It'll make the job alot easier when you have to get the rotor hub off.

Wildbrain
04-21-2009, 04:09 AM
After all that work you guys have done to replace the rear carrier and bearings make sure that you DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE AXEL NUT !!!!!!!!

Thats a real quick way to ruin all that hard work you just did.

jaysun
04-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Alberto - I hear yah on just getting it done! I plan on doing mine this weekend too.... Last night I figured I should at least try and loosen the lock nuts due to people having problems with them. I got mine loose in 2 min with a pipe wrench! I'll save the rest for this weekend.

The axle carrier I bought already has new o-rings on the outside. I just need to lather them up before sliding in.

I'm also doing the front sprocket, and rear, and chain!

Im almost thinking of getting a new axle lock nut kit before doing it though...?? Anyone have one and could chime in...??

alberto
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I chewed the heck out of my axle nut tring to remove it. An OEM replacement cost me $30 an aftermarket RAD Racing lock nut will run me about $45. I will also be attempting to install mine this weekend too. Keep us posted and good luck.

http://www.radmfg.com/radloc.htm

jaysun
04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Alberto - How did your install go...?? Mine went really well... I also put on new front, rear sprockets and chain. I would have it all done, but inspecting my rotor and pads they were looking horrible. So I ordered new off E-bay and bought some caliper paint and dressed it up a bit...

alberto
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Still cleaning things up a bit before I put it all back together. I decided to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I am hoping to start putting everything back together next weekend.

eprovenzano
04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
I've replaced the rear bearing a few times on my son's 99 400ex. The reason we kept beating the bearing up, was the rear axle nut kept coming loose, and allowing the axle to move, thus destroying the bearings. We bought a cheap locking nut off flea-bay, and it seems to have solved the issue of the axle nut coming loose. He's had 4-5 rides on it, (about 20 hours), and the axle nut has not moved, bearing are in good shape.

Highly recommend replacing the axle nut, or adding a locking nut. It will lengthen the life of the rear bearings.

jaysun
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Do you know who the E-bay seller was or what the part was called?? I know Rad has one out and I believe the link is in this post somewhere...??

http://www.radmfg.com/radloc.htm

eprovenzano
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I will look tonight after work, flea-bay has been blocked form our office computers. The one I purchased is similar to radmfg's, but clamps over the stock axle nut and fits in between the axle nut and the lockinig nut.

jcs003
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
your best bet is an anti-fade hub. works better than the rad and keeps the brakes cooler.

jaysun
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
jcs003 - Do you know who sells this style...?

jcs003
04-27-2009, 01:31 PM
lone star racing. they are the ones i use. not cheap but you can find a good used one cheap. you can also find them on e bay for like 140 for a different brand.

billyboy93
04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
yea i have the lonestar anti fade hub and its the best