PDA

View Full Version : 05 toyota tacoma vs. 06 Silverado SS

Titanium
04-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Looking into buying a truck here pretty soon and have narrowed it down to either a newer tacoma or a Silverado SS. Whats the good and bad on these things. I know of a couple cons on both vehicles. Im planning on putting long travel suspension on them if i do end up buying one to help you guys figure out my situation.:p I can get both for around the same price too.

scuzz
04-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Long travel suspension on an SS?

I really like both trucks but I would worry about the all wheel drive of the SS being mated to some sort of long travel getup.

The Tacoma is a smaller truck, albeit bulletproof (IMO).

What are you planning to use the truck you purchase for?

Pulling?

Commuting?

Mudding?

Pre-running?

Cruising?

Titanium
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes long travel on an SS ! J&D fabrication has a kit for the SS's that enables you to gain 16 inches of suspension travel with the SS trim line. Not to worried about the awd interfering with the long travel i mean sure it will cause the cv axles to wear out a little sooner than usual but it'd be worth it. Im not planning on mudding although i do run into alot of it. I intend on pre-running it and taking it to the dunes pretty often. Of course it will be for cruising also since it will be my daily driver. I might tow with it every once in a while. Prolly wont haul much more than my quad on a daily basis though.

400exrider707
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Tacoma all the way. The SS is nice to say you have one, but other than that I never got them...

Tacoma would be eaiser to get parts for, cheaper to build, and a more reliable truck IMO.

400ex28
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Haha this is a pretty obvious choice here, get the silverado.

scuzz
04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
The silverado is gonna give you the wow with torque and HP for sure.

The Tacoma will keep it's value better and be a more reliable vehicle.

soonerdude77
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm a Chevy guy through and through but for what you're talking about doing the Taco is a better choice. IMO small trucks are more fun to drive and fling around and those little tacomas are tough. There's also a lot more pre-runner/dune parts available and for cheaper than the SS.

Also Rangers make good pre-runners but it sounds like you've eliminated those already.