PDA

View Full Version : 01 5occ scrambler carb prob.

mity mouse
04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Thank god for this forum doesnt seem to be anyone local that can answer anything on this quad.
I purchased it new for my oldest son for about two years very little though. went to give it to my youngest son this weekend and am having a hell of a time getting it running. This thing has had carb issues pretty much since it was new.
I found if I took of the air box it will not idle starts and dies, so using a rag and my hand to act as a chock it will idle all day long move your hand it stumbles and dies it does not have a manual chock. and is being a pain in my butt. the carb only appears to have 1 adjustment with looks like it should be the idle however it changes nothin when messed with. I also realized when the petcock is open there is a slight fuel drip from the bottom of the float bowl. the only way we got this thing to run was to cover the inlet side of the carb with tape using a pick we started makeing holes in the tape till the thing seemed not to fall on its nose under throttle 7 was the magic number went to try 8 after it was good and warm it died would not wont to start again till 8th hole was covered back up ( I know its a pretty shotty way to diagnois this but when a 9 year old is over your shoulder wantin to ride you find ways.
Thanks in advance for any help I can get :

dwhst9
04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I'll ask the obvious here. Have you completely disassembled the carb and cleaned it? Blow compressed air through every passage, jet, etc.

Also, have you done a compression test?

mity mouse
04-25-2009, 07:05 AM
I have cleaned the carb extensively...I have not done compression test...I will pick up a gauge today I guess fiquring this thing may have 20 hours hours on it that it was the last thing on my mind but you are right basic trouble shooting first...I hate the fact that this thing also does not have a manual chock
Thanks for the help.

JAG Motosports
04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I think you are jetted too lean, that's why restricting the air flow helps. Start with the pilot and then check the main. FYI you can get a good carb with manual choke for under a $100

mity mouse
04-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I would rather have the manual chock where do I find one?

mity mouse
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I would like to find this carb some where soon the boys and I were talking about riding next weekend and we just got a butt load of rain. also I have heard the switch inside the throttle housing could cause issues is there a way to by pass it I mean with the lanyard if he breaks a throttle cable Im not to worried.

JAG Motosports
04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
pm sent

mity mouse
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
First of thank you guys for your help.
I Installed new carb. with manual chock ( still need to come up with a chock cable set up) this weekend. along with a uni filter this quad didnt run this good new. my boy rode for close to six straight hours stopping to refuel a few times with no problems.
does any one have a good resource as to a good pipe for these?
Thanx Bill