View Full Version : Weight of a rider

monkeyballs
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Ok well.. I once remember hearing every 5lb you can take off a bike it comes out 2 1hp. Or is it 10lb? Any who, I was wondering how much of a diffrence a riders weight and a bikes weight makes..

Like I want 2 race a 450r (bone stock) With my ex (hc stg 1, wiseco light weight piston 11:1, 416 bore, cleaned up factory port job and polished exhaust ports, full system yosh pipe no spark arrestor, k&n air filter running with no air box lid) I weigh 145lb and he weighs 190- 210. How much of a diff will that make..

Now as for a more acurate test.. If you have 2 bikes that are exactly the same but 30lb has been added to one.. How much of a diff will it make?

Ty and if you know any sytuations like ^ feel free to..

Take r ez And sry I forgot to mention a couple of my mods..

Bracer Buechli

zwark
04-19-2009, 09:50 PM
say you're giving a piggy back ride to a 100 pound person, and then a 300 pound person. which one can you move faster with? same difference.

you will not gain horsepower, you will just be taking stress off the machine. therefore, making you faster. but in your situation, weight shouldn't matter. if you know how to ride, you can beat him...ESPECIALLY with your modifications.

monkeyballs
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Well I know it wont give hp, but the way I ment this is, a comparison, loosing that weight is its like gaining 1hp.

Then give me some tips on beating this guy. Idk where we will race. I think I should be fine on gravle its just pavement that I dont like. To much traction. Gravle, sand etc 2nd gear start it then get them front tires off the ground and shift away (no clutch). But pavement I hate starting off... Some ppl say launch it but I rather not if I dont need 2..

And your saying with these mods I should have no problem. A couple ppl told me I should be able to keep up with him till 4th gear then im done. Im just in the process of getting new gears and I figures I would stick with stock. Good idea?

ty

zwark
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM
i wouldn't suggest popping your clutch, give your bike some throttle and feed your clutch out very fast while giving more throttle as you start rolling. he might beat you on top end (Depending on distance of race). sit as close to the gas tank as possible during your start, then as you get rolling shift your weight to the rear wheels for most possible traction. while you are shifting don't try to fly through the gears as fast as possible, but right before you hit the rev limiter shift, you want your bike to be screaming each gear you go up.

also, you don't HAVE to let go of the throttle while shifting as long as the clutch is fully disengaged.

the mods you have should allow you to take off like a rocket as long as you can control the bike you are on. he will catch you on top-end. practice your starts, find what feels the best and just keep practicing. remember, you won't win every race, so don't let your buddy put you down over it.

i dropped one tooth on the front sprocket for torque and more acceleration and it worked great for me. it will take some top speed off. just be careful taking off during the race, sometimes it can wind up bad (espeically on pavement), wheelieing out of control, know what i mean?

good luck my friend.

monkeyballs
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I was more thinking shifting with out using the clutch and letting off the gass. Wont that be better then not letting off the gas and.. And its probably going 2 anoy me every time I hit the rev limiter lol.

And would you happen to have any clue how much hp my bike will have once its jetted correctly? Right now my rebuild is just about done and im trying to figure out the right jetting and estimated hp. So far 150-155 main jet (dynojet), 3rd clip positon down on dynojet needle, 42 pilot jet.

Ty again Peace

zwark
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
i'm not really sure about the horsepower question, but somewhere in the 30's i would think. i don't think shifting without the clutch is too healthy for the transmission. you still have to use the clutch while shifting if you are on the gas.

before you hit the rev limiter shift, one mod i suggest you look into is a CDI. it will allow you to go into higher rpms, maybe gaining some speed.

matt14c
04-19-2009, 10:34 PM
My dad drag races cars and he tell me that less weight is more. Well its not technically gaining HP but what you have is the total HP and weight for the machine. With those it will give you your hp to weight ratio. Now how that transfers to putting power to the ground and making things faster im not sure. My dad tell me that in drag racing about every 500 lbs or so is one tenth of a second on the strip. So im guessing that 10 or even 30 pounds isnt a whole heck of alot. Now there is a point in which you wont have enough weight or atleast grip. With you racing him on gravel is may be an advantage for you because of the torque of the 450 wanting to spin. If I was you I would put you stock tires on and would stick with stock gearing. It should be really close with your mods with you being able to nose it out.

droppedmazda
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
if you are gonna be drag racing, use the clutch but do not let off the gas. it will be faster than not ussing the clutch and letting off the gas. you dont have to use the clutch if u dont want to, you are not gonna tear a 400ex tranny out like that. every pound u can get off the bike, u should. on 4 wheelers every 30 pounds is a tenth. u shouldn't have to much problem with the 450r if u can ride.