PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a aftermarket cam?

JRN2786
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
just wondering who all has a cam and what your opinion is on it. thinking of gettin one dont really know which one to get i know a sparks or web is gonna cost more than the hot cam cause the new rockers and possibly valve springs... but would like to know how much of a gain i could get with the hot cam. my mods are FMF exhaust UNI filter and jetted thats it. probably gonna get rev box and 11 to 1 piston when i do the cam. thanks

PA250x
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I just rebuilt mine with a Stage 1 Hot Cam, high comp Wiseco piston (standard bore), HMF pipe, jet kit...but I havent run it yet. I just got it put back together over the weekend. It will be going back in the wheeler tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know what my findings are. Sorry this doesnt really help you.

JohnT_98300EX
04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Real interested myself. I just dropped a cylinder off to be bored. Going +.080 wiesco 11 to 1, stage 1 hotcam, and a mild port and polish.
I think I am going to break it in before installing the 400ex carb. Plan on going up 1 or 2 high speed jet sizes in the 300 carb till broken in.
Any opinions on the carb? How safe might it be to just stock rebuild the 400 carb and go with it? Just don't want to burn it down before it's time.

300ex#996
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
might be a mistake to go .080 over with a wiseco. i had tht done and the first time the cylinder got eaten away at the top cuz it was so thin and it got sucked down into the case and it was a big mess. so then we rebuilt it and tried the wiseco 11 to 1 .080 set up again and the same thing happened a year later.

JohnT_98300EX
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
oops, too late. piston and cylinder is at the machine shop to be bored. If I can get it to last till winter that's fine.
This winter I hope to have a crank stroked and go with a powroll top end kit
Were you running an oil cooler?