PDA

View Full Version : Parent support?

hondariderdylan
04-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I am having the hardest time getting my dad and grandmother take any intrest in quads

i live with my grandmother during the weeks and my dad is here on weekends
they both look at quad racing as some weird thing that is dangerous, stupid, and somthing they could care less about

i am not asking for them to support me with $, time, effort, or anything like that
im just asking for some moral support

everytime i want to go ride at a freinds house or go to a race, they can come up with a million reasons why that cant happen, or how theres not $, how there tired, and what all could happen to make it not happen

i dont need them to do anything but maybe drive me across town once in a while or just give me a simple "good luck"

i have a freind who is wanting me to race with him and i have even offered for my dad to come and camp out and be at the race with us
no go

am i just going to have to go it on my own?
any ideas on how to get them to take intrest?
anyone else with a similar problem?

hondariderdylan
04-20-2009, 06:14 AM
bumpp?

411pit
04-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Dylans Dad

When my son said he wanted to race quads i was a little iffy on the idea. I was thinking it would be like other sports (baseball) . Boy was i wrong , All the peope we have meet are so supportive of each other. They are competitive on the track during the race and after they all help each other , fix machines,telleach other how to hit jumps , turns ect. I think i got hooked on it more than him. I think you realy sould give him a shot at it and some support in it is a great family sport. Maybe you will get hooked.:)

quad2xtreme
04-20-2009, 08:18 AM
tell him you are having trouble deciding between being a cheerleader or racing quads!!! :devil:

Warnerade
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
in the 3 years I've been racing I've probably raced over 100 races...parents have gone to 3 of them

it sucks...but oh well, gives me a reason to ***** and moan about them

blacknblue#2
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
My parents dont like it. Dad says "your gonna end up dead one of these days" and mom just kinda ignores the whole fact. They bought me fourwheelers since i was 5 but never was interested in the whole competitive scene. I had to wait until i was 18 so i could start signing myself up. Their happy when i bring trophys home but they would never promote me in any way.......Like warnerade said it does suck but oh well.

Bryson#221
04-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
tell him you are having trouble deciding being a cheerleader or racing quads!!! :devil:

^^ If that won't do it...nuttin' will :blah:

Bryson#221
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
in the 3 years I've been racing I've probably raced over 100 races...parents have gone to 3 of them

it sucks...but oh well, gives me a reason to ***** and moan about them

Same here bro, SAME here.

hondariderdylan
04-20-2009, 12:35 PM
yea
i came to the conclusion that im probably going to have to do it on my own
but thats all i can do

im trying to get my dad to go with me to the SORCS race on the 26th

scuzz
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
They are probably worried that their little [insert your name] is going to get hurt and that if they don't encourage it, then you'll lose interest in doing it all together.

hondariderdylan
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
They are probably worried that their little [insert your name] is going to get hurt and that if they don't encourage it, then you'll lose interest in doing it all together.

i wish them luck on that:D

ricksmx865
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
its weird my whole life my ole man never missed 1 of my football,basketball or baseball games, but he's only been to 1 of my races.

on top of that everytime I leave its "dont crash, dont get hurt, or dont break something" instead of ride smart and good luck

oh well... what'd ya do

hondariderdylan
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ricksmx865
its weird my whole life my ole man never missed 1 of my football,basketball or baseball games, but he's only been to 1 of my races.

on top of that everytime I leave its "dont crash, dont get hurt, or dont break something" instead of ride smart and good luck

oh well... what'd ya do

yeah i get that alot
even when im just going down the road to my buddys house:scary:

some encouragement would be great sometimes

motofreak2772
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
get your friends parents or one of your dads friends who are interested in the sport(if there are any) to talk to them aout it and just throw racing into the conversation. they will explain how riding is so great and why they should be interested in it.

hondariderdylan
04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
yea
im going to get my buddys dad to talk about it to him

MX MaNiAc 06
04-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I know where you're coming from. I'm a pretty good rider and I could definately hang in B class at nats or A locally but my parents never took me anywhere. Before i turned 18 i probably rode at 3-4 different tracks. Since then i go as much as possible. I once had to tell my parents i was going to a friend's house just to go practice..

toby400ex
04-21-2009, 09:41 AM
It was usually a struggle getting my parents to take me to a race, but I managed to get them to drive me to probably about 5 races. Racing was pretty hard to afford at 16 and 17 so I gave it up for a few years. Now im 21 and its still a pain to afford to race and make house payments and what not. I guess just deal with it now or find a way around it, car pooling to races, I do it often. Maybe theyll come around sometime, or just have nothing to do with their child's ambitions.:ermm:

csr250r
04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
My family as a whole supports rodeo. I cannot even use my grandpas skid steer to built jumps, when he has bought horse trailers, horses, and helped with money to support members in my family that rodeo(even my siblings), but he doesnt want me to get hurt so i cant use his equipment(I run equipment everyday at work). The other day my grandma wanted to take one of my trophies and put it in her house.... no chance in hell thats going to happen, they dont want to support me but they want to show off my accomplishments to their friends??

My mother would not let me race no matter what, haha soon as that witch moved out I entered a local race. Been racing ever since. My dad is coming around though.

Its tough making enough cash sometimes. Im 16 and I haul across state to MN with a friend, plus do local races at my own expense. :ermm:

250x_kyle
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
thats just it. racing is very expensive, and it gets very expesnsive very quick. certain tracks require certain memberships (such as cra and ama to name a few). I have bought all my toys on my own and cant wait till i turn 18 in june to hit up a few races. I have gone to a few local tracks with some guys that know the owners well so i didnt have to worry about signing my life away. my parents never really support the idea of racing although my dad uses a bruteforce around the house and for trail riding. It doesnt really matter what anyone here says your going to have to wait a few years and do it on your own. just save every penny you possibly can and keep it twards broken parts.