PDA

View Full Version : clutchproblems need info ASAP

yellowhonda400
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok i have an 02 400ex. It feels like my clutch isnt working right. it was fine until i but a ASV lever with perch on it. Ever since then i cant get it to shift to neturalwhile its running. it shofts fine when off but when its running it wont go into neutral. Does this mean my clutch plates are bad or is my adjustment way off?

dr qwerty
04-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I had this problem when i replaced my clutch...I didn't put the last plate in the groves when i replaced it...then i fixed that then adjusted it and problem solved...

NacsMXer
04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by yellowhonda400
Ok i have an 02 400ex. It feels like my clutch isnt working right. it was fine until i but a ASV lever with perch on it. Ever since then i cant get it to shift to neturalwhile its running. it shofts fine when off but when its running it wont go into neutral. Does this mean my clutch plates are bad or is my adjustment way off?

If it is hard to shift running then the cable is not tight enough (the cable is not pulling the clutch arm enough to fully disengage the clutch when you pull it). Thread the adjuster on the lever outward to tighten the cable. If you run out of adjustment, go down by the clutch cover and make your adjustment (you'll want to thread the adjuster so it pulls towards the front of the quad so it will pull the cable tighter).

honda400ex2003
04-19-2009, 08:39 PM
check that and if it is all good check the lifter arm and the springs to make sure they are tight. otherwise keep adjusting it tighter. steve