PDA

View Full Version : My LTR XC Transformation

jkiserracing
04-19-2009, 06:56 PM
So back in the winter I decided to look for another quad to use for maybe some XC riding/racing and just fun riding. But I needed to find a good deal.......which would be found...you guessed it...on ebay of course. I do have my 450r but its completelt set up for MX which I race also. Ive put enough money into that (and still am) so my goal was to try not to pour a ton into this to set it up how I wanted.....so the bike was a used completely stock 06 LTR450. Here it is now and what I did......

jkiserracing
04-19-2009, 06:56 PM
and.....

jkiserracing
04-19-2009, 06:58 PM
and....

jkiserracing
04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
The pictures are not the greatest but you can see pretty well....

So to begin with I replaced the stock bumper with one I bought from Rockymountain ATV (Tusk) its pretty inexpensive and looks (and works) better than stock. Next I replaced the stock handlebars with Renthal. I like the Renthal bars...i like a certain bend and its whats comfortable to me. That meant changing the clamp to a big bar clamp. The thing was, I like the stock steering height and all the big bar clamps I found raised it up. So I found a big bar clamp from my friends at Fuelatv.com. It bolts directly to the stock LTR stem without raising the height.

Next I needed some nerf bars......after looking and looking for some good used ones I liked (never found what I wanted) I went with the RM ATV (again) full nerfs with pro pegs and heel guard...these ended up looking really sweet and very functional...not to mention again.....good price....I found a good pro armour rear skid and a full skid for the underneath...

cont. in a moment

jkiserracing
04-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Next I found a used Yoshi. RS-5 slip on in need of a repacking but again a good deal was to be had. So once I got it...I repacked it cleaned it up real well and pit it right on. I decided also to put on a new UNI air filter and clean out the airbox real well...also Installed a cherry bomb. Once that was done is when the craziness happened.......

I was really itching to ride this bike since its been in my basement (by this time for about 2 months) so I put my spare mx practice wheels on and headed for a practice track.....all I can say is I crashed real good broke mt wrist, (not bad) and bent the stock steering stem straight to the gas tank......and I did all that in a matter of only a few minutes:eek2:

Cont. in a moment....

jkiserracing
04-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Well 4-6 weeks later nursing the broken wrist (6 weeks to be exact) back to my friends at Fuel ATV for a steering stem....Amazingly the Renthal Fat bars survived the crash with no....and I mean no bending....

So new steering stem with anti vibe clamp (that was definately not in the original plan)
Needed graphics to cover up all this scrached up plastic...So I found a nice deal on graphics over at Golden West cycle and numbers from (again RM ATV ) Attack graphics. Now as for the width. Im not changing the a arms or axle until I have to. I found this new set of take offs tires and wheels from an 09 KFX450 so I bought those. I believe that the offset of the stock KFX450 wheels, especially on the front, narrows up the bike.
The front sits at 46.5" and the rear is 48"

So thats it.........hope yall like it.

PS.....rode it yesterday (8 weeks now after broke wrist) for the 2nd.....1st time.......I loved it......fun fun fun....and fast fast fast

RATPACK Z400
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
How much did you buy it for ? sweet looking quad wait till you port/cam it with pipe /commander look out!

jkiserracing
04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks.....i bought it for 2700.00

shane071489
04-20-2009, 09:00 PM
damn dude that was a steal i paid 4799 for my new you def. got a deal...what did you look for in buying a used pipe thats what i wanna do i want a yoshi but wasnt gonna pay 400 for a slip on what did you have to pay for a used one just being nosey

jkiserracing
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
well it was during the winter for one thing which seems to be a great time to buy used parts because not alot of riding is going on and alot of re-building is.......so I just checked ebay almost daily.....i wanted a yoshi but was definately open to other brands too..... so I was typing in ltr450 exhaust in the search field so I could see everything.......my goal was to find a good deal but not a hunk of beat up metal either. If the pipe is in good shape on the outside then its probably been taken care of.....i was asking most sellers how long they had it on before they took it off to sell or how long since last repacking to get an idea of use....on my pipe i could tell by the pics that it was in good shape but the seller said he had never repacked it and had it well over a year...so i knew i would at least need to do that....but i ended up paying under 200 for it then the packing and time to do it so not too bad.

RATPACK Z400
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Im super jealous! that a steal at 2700 man you sure got deal,if you race XC what width are you going to ride at? and how doe,s it compare in handling to your honda?

jkiserracing
04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes...i think I came out ok on that deal.....I looked for a long time and watched alot of quads on ebay just looking to see if I could get in on a bid that was good and it happend...I was surprised that no one out bid me.

As far as the xc racing....well im going to be new at it..im still going to race my mx series on the Honda and then try to fit in some xc races here and there when I can. The width now is probably still a little too wide but its close so I'll see how it works out. I just dont want to spend the cash on a new axle and shorter a arms for only racing it "here and there" mostly this is going to be my go out and ride for fun bike.

As for handling compared to the Honda......right now its hard to tell....The Honda sits lower, is wider etc...The honda definately rails the turns better than the Suzuki but keep in mind I have the larger tires on the Suzuki so that doesnt really help it in hairpin turns....I was really impressed with the power of the Suzuki though..man what a powerful quad....I never rode it stock so I dont know how that was but with the cherry bomb and exhaust I beleive it really unleashed some power....I look forward to riding it again....Ive always been a big fan of Suzuki.....I raced the old Quadracer 250 2 strokes back in the 90's while everyone else was on the 250r.....I loved being that yellow quad in a sea of red and white......awsome.....

shane071489
05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
yeah man you def. got a good deal that ltr is nice as **** man still waiting to see that honda in action ive been hearing about ha

QuickZero
05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
nice quad noticed the quinn motorsports

jkiserracing
05-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah...a little blurry in that pic...I let Norris do all my work...He actually just got done doing some motor work on my Honda..

QuickZero
05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
norris does great work he has setup some of my shocks

quadboy-55
05-12-2009, 05:07 PM
nice! niiiice!!! i want to go rebuild a used quad now!