PDA

View Full Version : Chokecherry hill

Fender Bender
12-31-2002, 07:26 PM
Why is chokecherry so hard? i saw a video of 2 guys tryin to make it up, and they got stuck, it doesnt really look that steep.

:confused:

CHAUNCY
01-01-2003, 12:36 PM
did u see the video on wyoduner's site ???

Fender Bender
01-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Yes indeedy

seven
01-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Its actaully a lot steeper then it looks, Most 400ex wont make it up unless they have motor work done. I have a friend who has a z400 suzuki and he said he almost made it up but had to turn at the last little bit

Fender Bender
01-01-2003, 06:52 PM
well, i guess the video just made it look less steep, that or the sand is really loose and the tires just dig in and get stuck

CHAUNCY
01-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by strokedandpoked
well, i guess the video just made it look less steep, that or the sand is really loose and the tires just dig in and get stuck

It looks like the top has loose sand

Fender Bender
01-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Yea, must be cause he would start digging in up there

WyoDuner
01-02-2003, 02:22 PM
In the spring and Early summer it's steeper than later in the year. It gets cut away at the top from everybody going up it after a while. Also, it's less steep at the top later in the year.

Early in the year it is a tough hill to climb and it gets steeper the last 100 feet or so to the top and that what does a lot of people in.

The sand is soft and the hill is long and steep. Just a tough combination.

It's no fun backing down that's for sure. :)

out4sand
01-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Like Wyoduner said, it's just a tuff combo. The hill is long, steep, and the sand is pretty soft. I have yet to see a picture that does the hill justice, it's a totally different site in person...very impressive. It's not to say that it can't be done but I have yet to see a stock or just piped 400ex make it up the hill. Most make it about half way and then need to down shift to first causing them to just dig in.

www.out4sand.com

WyoDuner
01-03-2003, 01:38 PM
I did see a video of a piped Z400 making it up the hill. Light rider and a lucky day for him I guess, but I was surprised to see that. He even did it to the side of the hill, not the main drag up the center.

Snad Rider
01-11-2003, 12:21 AM
We ride there almost weekly in the summer and I can tell you conditions change frequently. I have a 14-tooth counter sprocket, Outer-ware air box lid, E-series pipe; scat-track hauler 7 paddle tires and I will make it up Chokecherry about half of the time. When I don’t make it, it’s either to soft & rutted and I can’t get enough traction or it’s too hard (wet) and I don’t have enough power. Yes, it is steeper than the pictures show! TIP: Start the day with about 5 to 6 LBS of air in your paddles and let a pound out and try it again, repeat until you see some improvement.

WyoDuner
01-11-2003, 06:43 PM
There is a side route to the top of the hill to the west a little bit (20 yards) that most sport quads can make up. Still not an easy route but if you can't make it at least there's an option.

quadbiker
01-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Chokecherry is steep, long, loose, and you can't get a good run at it.

QuadJunkies
01-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Man, I cant wit to ride there again this summer,I need to figure out how to make moveis on my camera sO I can post the pics after the trip:D

quadbiker
01-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Yeah, but according to the rules on this forum the pictures have to be "atv related" which means no ****, ****, or even ****. So you better show up in person so you won't miss anything.:devil

QuadJunkies
01-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by quadbiker
Yeah, but according to the rules on this forum the pictures have to be "atv related" which means no ****, ****, or even ****. So you better show up in person so you won't miss anything.:devil haha.well thats what I meant LMAO..;)

twisted threads
01-30-2003, 06:47 AM
Its kind of funny when I here people ask, Why Is chokecherry so hard to make? All you got to do is go to the bottom of it and look way up there to the top and see your buddys looking back down at you then you will know why its so hard to clime.;) :)

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK THERE!!!:cool:

QuadJunkies
01-30-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Its kind of funny when I here people ask, Why Is chokecherry so hard to make? All you got to do is go to the bottom of it and look way up there to the top and see your buddys looking back down at you then you will know why its so hard to clime.;) :)

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK THERE!!!:cool: me too!:blah dang, its gonna be a really long winter, since we are going up at different time this summer, you will def have to take LOT of pictures of me to see, I wonder how the lakes new campground is gonna look:)

twisted threads
01-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I wonder how the lakes new campground is gonna look:)

Im not sure but I do know that is going to a nicer drive to the big hills from there, thats for sure.

WyoDuner
01-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Yep, I'm looking forward to the new BLM campground. It was a little too small before and the main parking area was pretty dusty. It was OK if you got a spot in the back with the trees though...

Yep - long winter waiting to ride again.

twisted threads
02-02-2003, 09:02 AM
WyoDuner do you have the # to the new BLM campground at the lakes? Im going over there in 3 1/2 months and I need to get there # to make the reservations.:D :cool:

If you do just PM it to me.
THanks....

QuadJunkies
02-02-2003, 09:42 AM
WyoDuner do you have the # to the new BLM campground at the lakes? Im going over there in 3 1/2 months and I need to get there # to make the reservations.:D :cool:

If you do just PM it to me.
THanks.... when i asked them before, they said they werent taking reservations first come first serve.. but I would think with the new grounds they would huh..:confused: if you get a number let me know,we have a few that are going up that will camp.....Tina;)

WyoDuner
02-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Taht's right - BLM never took reservations. First come basis. Maybe that will change with the updates. You can contact them by searching for the closest BLM field office in Idaho - maybe the Idaho Falls office maybe Rexburg???? Not sure.

If you stay at the Sand Dunes "resort" you will need to make reservations. That is a private campground and gets pretty full.

out4sand
02-03-2003, 02:33 PM
For info on the new campground try contacting Bill Boggs at the Idaho BLM - 208-524-7527. If the campsites are not ready and/or do not take reservations and you'd like to make sure you have a spot reserved I'd recommend calling Desert Oasis Resort (208) 624-3275 rather then the Sand Dunes Resort. The owners of Desert Oasis are much more friendly and the Resort is much closer to all the bigger dunes.

www.out4sand.com

QuadJunkies
02-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by out4sand
For info on the new campground try contacting Bill Boggs at the Idaho BLM - 208-524-7527. If the campsites are not ready and/or do not take reservations and you'd like to make sure you have a spot reserved I'd recommend calling Desert Oasis Resort (208) 624-3275 rather then the Sand Dunes Resort. The owners of Desert Oasis are much more friendly and the Resort is much closer to all the bigger dunes.

www.out4sand.com yup.. I agree.. the resort is nicer,but I have heard NOTHING but horror stories of htese people that run the place.. haha.. Ill bet that will change when the lake opens there new campgrounds..;)

twisted threads
02-04-2003, 03:35 AM
yeah I know what you mean about the people at the Sandhills Resort I got yeld at every daY!!! for stupid stuff!! LOL its very funny now I think about it but at the time I said if he yeld at me one more time I was going to FREAK OUT!!:scary: I mite try the Oasis Resort this time.

I cant what to rocket up those big O'l hills!!!:D

QuadJunkies
02-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Fender Bender
Why is chokecherry so hard? i saw a video of 2 guys tryin to make it up, and they got stuck, it doesnt really look that steep.

:confused: hey.. I found some cool pics.. for all those that think this is easy stuff .lol take a good look and you can see...VERY BIG STUFF HERE:blah :p

QuadJunkies
02-05-2003, 10:17 PM
hey.. I found some cool pics.. for all those that think this is easy stuff .lol take a good look and you can see...VERY BIG STUFF HERE:blah :p oops me bad...:D http://tinman875.tripod.com/bansheeheaven/id4.html

QuadJunkies
02-05-2003, 10:30 PM
oops me bad...:D http://tinman875.tripod.com/bansheeheaven/id4.html here is another...;) http://www.dunegoon.org/images/devilsdn.jpg

twisted threads
02-06-2003, 05:26 AM
Those pictures are sweet!!!!! So you are sure you cant go to St. Anthonys at the end of may??;) ;) :cool: Its going to be fun

QuadJunkies
02-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Those pictures are sweet!!!!! So you are sure you cant go to St. Anthonys at the end of may??;) ;) :cool: Its going to be fun :( yes...Im sure ... We have a Wedding to attend over the wk end your going up(troy is in the wedding):rolleyes: And they are two of the people we go duning with, Im bummed, I was sure hoping to meet you and your wife this year up there..