PDA

View Full Version : rear brake caliper wont go on

frankibucsa123
04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a 2002 400ex. I just installed a new rear rotor and new pads in the rear caliper. When i went to install the caliper back on it wont slide over the rotor. The piston is all the way in. (used a c clamp on it). There is a little part of the caliper that sticks out just enough that it rubs the rotor and wont allow the caliper to go on. The clearance is there for the pads just not sure why that plate is sticking out past the pads. Thats the only thing snagging. Anyone else run into this prob? Ive looked in my manual but it only explains how to rebuild the caliper not the prob im having. Always get a better response on here than anywhere else. Thanks for your help!

BassHunter0123
04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
that plate you need to push back. it can be hard sometimes

frankibucsa123
04-19-2009, 04:22 PM
do you mean the plate that has the rubber bushings in it? am i supposed to remove the rubber and adjust it somehow? in my manual it looks like its threaded but im not sure. the pads are back as far as they can go.

sprayedgt
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
That's the wear indicator. Just push it back in with your fingers. Don't take the rubber thing off. It can take some force sometimes, but it'll go back in.

frankibucsa123
04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Maybe this will help. The piece im talking about is the bracket that bolts the caliper rotor. On the inside of the bracket right next to the brake pad the bracket is bulged up about a 1/16 of an inch. It is not smooth. Its like that from the factory. It is not damaged. Thats what is getting caught up and wont let me push the caliper on. Any help would be appreciated!