PDA

View Full Version : front end alinment

crxjarred
04-19-2009, 02:50 PM
ok i noticed the other day that one of my wheels is pointing inward i kno that u can adjust the tirod but how can i do this acuratly

honda400ex2003
04-19-2009, 03:50 PM
You have to loosen the locking nuts on the rod ends and then move it. I am not sure the exact measurements for what the toe in and out should be though. sorry. they should move once loosened up though then you take a wrench and turn the rod. that is the only way i know of to do it. steve

RaginRedneck
04-19-2009, 04:54 PM
If your front and rear tires are even, the easiest way is to lay a straight edge against the rear tire and then align your front tire to that. You want 1/8" to 1/4" Toe in.

I just put +2 A-Arms on mine and what I did was lay down some small paint cans front and rear of each front tire. Then i taped a tape measure to the top of each one and stretched it over to the opposite can. I established a base measurement on the fixed side and then adjusted the tire rods so that the front measurement was in between 1/8" and a 1/4" toe in.

I thought I had some pictures of this set up, but I can't find them. Believe it or not, I used the paint can/tape measure method to set the front end of my 66' Galaxie when I was a kid and couldn't afford an alignment.

Wheelie
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I've found that ribbed front dune tires work great for setting toe-in.

RaginRedneck
04-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I did a quick mock up of what this would look like in power point. But photobucket won't let me upload that type of file. If you are interested, PM me your email address and I'll email it over to you.

matt1106
04-20-2009, 07:47 AM
your tires are suppost to be toed in.. if you toe your tires out you wont be happy. your tires with grab everything on the trail and your bars will be getting jerked around all over the place. thats y they come toed in from the factory. if you havent replaced and tierods and all your tierods and balljoints are good then your alignment is probably fine. Quads arent like cars the dont come out of alignment overtime. usually only if something is worn out

brodzowski
04-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I've found that ribbed front dune tires work great for setting toe-in.

I just wanted to say that makes total sense and it's almost worth having a used set around for that purpose. What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

soonerdude77
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I just cut some plates out of some 3/8 ply wood I had laying around, drilled hole for the studs and bolted those on in place of the wheel. worked great and a lot easier than keeping a set of dune tires around if you don't ride sand.