PDA

View Full Version : DUNEFEST Veterans & OR Locals Please Help!!!

jwoodzx7r
04-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Me and a couple of my buddies are planning on making the trip down from Seattle for this years festivities. This will be our first trip and I've spent about the last week trying to figure out camping arrangements... which I have come to realize I waited too late

So far, no luck as we will be bringing an RV. Spots A & B are already full as well as Discovery Point and Windy Cove which are all riding distance.

Are there any other areas we can stay with an RV where we can still ride to the staging area w/o having to pack up the trailer and come in??? We dont really care about hookups althrough electrical would be nice. Also, the non booze areas C, D, & E can you camp in an RV in these areas? According to the website it looks like A, B, and Salmon are the only RV areas. I think Salmon has some availability left but you cannot ride to the dunes... which is the most important part to us. Thanks and any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

mattonln
04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
there is another place I think its called winchester bay RV resort that has full hookups and is a really nice place, the only thing is you have to push your bikes in and out of the park, but you can ride from the entrance to the sand and its not too far to push the bikes. the place is right off the main road that goes into the dunes. I stay there every year with my buddy and his family.

heres the website
http://www.winchesterbayrvresort.com/

jwoodzx7r
04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks, I gave them a call and left a message but they haven't got back to me.

What about those that have done sand camping inside the event, I think they're sites C,D,E? I know they do not have any hookups and alcohol is prohibited. Anyone know how restricted that is? Not trying to break rules but can you not even have a beer inside your own RV in those areas??? Can see how they'd monitor that. Thanks again

mattonln
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
oh alot of people drink in their rv's and stuff just put your drink in a cup and don't be stupid about it. whatever you do don't ride drunk, they people all day for that stuff.

alberto
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
jwoodzx7r,

I think you might be late in reserving a spot. Check out or even call the City of Reedsport for info. Good luck, have fun and most importantly be careful. Oh FYI its a $250 fine if you get busted drinking in the no drinking area. Most expensive beer I didnt get to drink.

http://www.reedsportcc.org/

jwoodzx7r
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Don't worry I'd like to consider myself a little bit wiser now that I'm pushing 30 so getting blasted and hoping on my bike isn't what I intend to do. I just didn't want to be in an area where you can't drink at ALL. Having some beers is nice but obviously within safety.

Anyways, I was able to get ahold of Winchester Bay resort and they seem to have some spots left. One of the last ones left I think, besides sand camping in the actual event itself. You have to push your bike to the road and can ride from there, couldn't be more than 50 yards. With all the hookups etc, I think it might be worth the 10 min ride along a road to the dunes.

Bryson#221
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I will be going this year...we got two spots reserved in "C" the day reservations opened up.

There are no RV hook-ups there, but we are still bringing ours. Basically, just use the outhouses or port-o-pottys during the day and save your bathroom RV use for night time and morning- that seems to keep your tank available for the trip. If you need to shower, pay just like $2 and take a shower at Windy Cove right down the road and if you need a sink- use the bathrooms and you should be just fine.

Alcohol is not permitted within the Dune Fest event. You must either be at the RV park where you come into the main harbor or I believe Windy Cove may allow it in certain sections.

Windy Cove is also on a "first come, first serve" basis...so your chances of getting a spot there is slim-to-none unless you plan on coming the day before Dune Fest at the crack of dawn...even then...good luck ;)

I know pretty much all there is to know about Dune Fest, so ask away. Hope I helped! :D

Aceman
05-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
If you need to shower, pay just like $2 and take a shower at Windy Cove right down the road and if you need a sink- use the bathrooms and you should be just fine.
I was there last weekend and same as last year, the showers are free.

Alcohol is not permitted within the Dune Fest event. You must either be at the RV park where you come into the main harbor or I believe Windy Cove may allow it in certain sections.
Windy Cove doesn't care if you drink. The drinking rules pertain to the dune areas not the RV parks around them.

Windy Cove is also on a "first come, first serve" basis...so your chances of getting a spot there is slim-to-none unless you plan on coming the day before Dune Fest at the crack of dawn...even then...good luck
That's not entirely true. Windy Cove B has reservable sites.

http://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/view_park.asp?index=51&features=&cnt=

alberto
05-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Bryson#221,

I've never been to dunefest but the family and I would like to check it out this year. We aren't going to camp, we want to just check it out. What about day use? Can you just go for the day? We were thinking about going down first thing SAT morning and just spending the day and chillin. Where would be a good spot for just day use?

Bryson#221
05-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by alberto
Bryson#221,

I've never been to dunefest but the family and I would like to check it out this year. We aren't going to camp, we want to just check it out. What about day use? Can you just go for the day? We were thinking about going down first thing SAT morning and just spending the day and chillin. Where would be a good spot for just day use?

Yes, there is a day use. You can pay a day fee of around $15 per person to enter the dunes for the event, however, you ALSO have to purchase a parking pass to park in the lots (I believe $10). The parking passes are selling out, so if you do want to come, you may want to purchase your parking pass now. If you want to go to Vendor Row, you can take the free shuttle bus from the beginning of Winchester Bay (and park for free) and ride down to the vendor arena and see some of the dune action- which is what I would suggest. If you paid all the money for an event day pass and parking pass, you wouldn't get to see much more than if you just took the bus to the vendors.

A lot of the info is listed on dunefest.com such as pricing, vendors, and information. Hope I helped!

Also...YES...Windy Cove DOES have SOME spots you may reserve- granted- they are group sites and most likely full by now.

alberto
05-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Cool. I did check out the web-site and I was thinking about taking the shuttle it seems to be cheaper and more convient. I just wanted to hear it for the pro. Thank you for your help.