PDA

View Full Version : when standing up the quad in back of the truck...

tri5ron
04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I've often seen quads in trucks, stood straight up on their rear end/grab bars, so 2 or 3 quads will fit in.
For those of you here who transport your quads this way,...

Do you first drain, BOTH the fuel and oil? or only the fuel?

Do you remove the Battery?

Have you had anything leak out while transporting this way?

Is there any other issues or concerns or cautions that I am missing?

Thanks,
Ron

brian76708
04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
start the quad turn the fuel of let it run until it stalls then your good to go.

tri5ron
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
and is there no need to block-off or plug the vent line on the gas cap?
are you saying that no fuel will leak out of the vent line?

Thanks again.

Sjorge450R
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
and is there no need to block-off or plug the vent line on the gas cap?
are you saying that no fuel will leak out of the vent line?

Thanks again.

out of the gas tank yes. If you drain the carb, then no. IF! I were to do this

I would:
1) Turn gas off
2) Run quad until it shuts off
3)Plug breather line and then put it in the truck.

klutch
04-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
out of the gas tank yes. If you drain the carb, then no. IF! I were to do this

I would:
1) Turn gas off
2) Run quad until it shuts off
3)Plug breather line and then put it in the truck.

Thats what we do :D.

ZeroLogic
04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Don't start the quad right when you get it off the truck, my dad's bosses son sold a 450r to a guy and siezed the motor.

tri5ron
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Don't start the quad right when you get it off the truck, my dad's bosses son sold a 450r to a guy and siezed the motor. yeah, I was kind of figuring that it would be a good idea , before starting it, to let the quad sit on all four wheels for a good 5 to 10 minutes after taking it out of the truck.

Actually, I'll probably do that,... AND,... also check the dipsticks levels before starting any of the quads.

Ralph
04-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I know a kid who used to do this but one thing he also ended up doing was walk up and down an exit ramp collecting the aftermath of his quad rolling out. lol

tri5ron
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
I know a kid who used to do this but one thing he also ended up doing was walk up and down an exit ramp collecting the aftermath of his quad rolling out. lol OUCH !!!, Thats a real Bummer !!!
but hopefully that won't be the case with us.
Actually I don't intend to have them in the back of the truck, rather, they will be in one of my trailers instead.

When we go to the Dry Lakebed, (El Mirage), I will always be using my enclosed trailer, because we also carry our 2 or 3 landsailers along with the quads.

but we will also be going to other riding areas, without the sailers, and I want to use my 12' open box trailer, due to it is much lighter to tow. It also has a contractors rack to help contain everything.
I will need to stand them up, due to they will not all fit in a 5' x 12' box, on their wheels.

I will most likely do some test fitting, and make some bolt-in, (or quick release pins), divider crossbars, on the trailer,(between each of the quads), to provide some extra tie-down points, as well as to keep the quads from banging against each other.
(this is all just in the "Imagin-eering" stages right now).

hopefully, I'll be able to custom fit the trailer, to safely fit/hold the quads, and have it be simple to hold them securely in place.

here's a pic of the trailer I intend to use and modify for this project...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_0448.jpg

( and before anyone ask's,... Yes that's MY Big Wheel on top, and yes I will still ride it, LOL!) JK

scuzz
04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
^^^^^^^

Very cool!