PDA

View Full Version : RAZRs......4ply or 6ply???

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Guys, I'm about to buy some new rear tires for the KFX and have decided on the RAZRs. The question that I still have is if I should go with the 4 or 6 ply version? I ride mainly tough trails in northwest Arkansas. I've only had 1 flat with the stock tires, so I know how to pick the right line and avoid most trail obstacles. If durability is not a concern with the 4ply version, I'll go with them (to save weight). But, if the 4plys are too weak, I'll opt for the 6.

Exactly how tough are the 4pls vs the 6 and how much more do the 6's weigh?

Thanks,

86250rrider
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
go onto the maxxis site and check weight. i prefer the 6 ply on mine as my bike has excessive power for the woods anyways. haha:macho

Flynbryan19
04-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Just depends on how much of a risk you wanna take. You can hit anything just right and puncture a 6ply tire. Nothing is bullet proof, but a 6ply tire is definately the strongest. It would be a bummer if you had to end a ride early just because you wanted to save a pound or two.

Scro
04-20-2009, 06:55 AM
The 4-ply version is actually not saving you much weight. I weighed a set and they were .2 pounds lighter than the 6-ply. If you don't have tireballs, I would definately go with 6-ply.

Yee-Haw_400EX
04-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Here is the reply I got from Maxxis:

Hi Matt. Thank you for contacting Maxxis International. A six ply rated tire does not necessarily have two more plies than a 4 ply rated tire. Ply rating is related to a tire’s load capability, which can be altered in numerous ways with the same amount of actual plies. For example, the 6 ply rated Razr may be built with materials that are lighter, but stronger, yielding the higher rating. I hope I have helped. Please contact us again through the Web site if you have any further questions. Sincerely, Scott Perkins, Maxxis.