PDA

View Full Version : car help please..

fasterblaster09
04-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I've just had my honda civic motor replaced 3 weeks ago (same stock motor). I started to hear a squeaking when the a/c was on. Now it comes on for up to a minute then stops a minute then starts again, and dam is it loud. I seems like its the belt, but belt dressing didn't help. THe a/c blows cold as ice. anyyy ideas?
thanks, neil

also- when the squeaking starts I just press in the clutch for a couple seconds and it goes away for a minute or so

Lowcountrydave
04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Tighten the belts. Don't use that dressing stuff. Sounds like the throw out bearng in the clutch. If the noise goes away everytime you press the clutch, the bearing is faulty.

Could also be an idler pulley bearing that is going out. That your belt runs on. Lube the pulleys and see if the noise goes away.

Hope this helps
Dave

tri5ron
04-19-2009, 01:01 PM
x2 on the above reply, but if you are going to try lubing the pulleys,... make certain that you do not also get lube on the belts.

my guess would be the T/O bearing, if it goes away when you push the clutch.

also, try turning the A/C off when the squealing starts. see if it stops then.
hopefully your A/C compressor is not starting to sieze up.

good luck.

fasterblaster09
04-19-2009, 06:02 PM
its only when the a/c is on, when it starts, if I turn it off then the squealing stops. when the a/c is off, I have no problems whatsoever with the car. I tried to tighten the belt, but it didn't seem to tighten or loosen. Should it be one bolt that tightens or loosens?

nickm328
04-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Sounds to me like your clutch on the ac compressor is going out, starts out o.k. then the clutch starts to bind and the belt starts slipping over the pully. Not that the pully is stopping just slowing down slower than the belt.

fasterblaster09
04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by nickm328
Sounds to me like your clutch on the ac compressor is going out, starts out o.k. then the clutch starts to bind and the belt starts slipping over the pully. Not that the pully is stopping just slowing down slower than the belt.

Earlier I did notice the belt slipping (I had the hood up), then I sprayed more belt dressing (I hardly sprayed any the first time), and went on about a 10 mile test derive and it seems to be doing fine. I hope it stays this way. If the clutch goes out on the compressor, I change the whole thing?

WhiteZrider
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM
You might be running low on vtec?

fasterblaster09
04-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
You might be running low on vtec?

please don't reply in this thread again if you don't mind, unless you're trying to help. thanks

F-16Guy
04-20-2009, 07:35 AM
The clutch assembly on the compressor has a bearing that allows the pully to spin freely when the clutch isn't engaged. That bearing may be starting to go. You may be able to buy the clutch assembly itself and just replace that; just check on Autozone or Checker (cskauto.com) website for your application. It would probably be a lot cheaper that buying a whole new compressor/clutch assembly. If the air blows ice cold, you definitely don't want to mess with the compressor if you don't have to. Another option may be to just have the bearing itself replaced. If you can find an honest shop, they may be able to tell you if they can just pull the clutch off, replace the bearing, and re-install the clutch. Get a quote first, though, because it may be cheaper to get the whole clutch assembly.

Titanium
04-20-2009, 08:05 AM
for sure a bad bearing in the compressor. i have had this happen a time or two before.

fasterblaster09
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
for sure a bad bearing in the compressor. i have had this happen a time or two before.

did you have to replace just the bearing? or the whole thing?