PDA

View Full Version : o ring chain

pitcrew
04-18-2009, 08:43 PM
what if anything can i use to clean a o-ring chain?? i wanted to clean it but i didnt know what to use because of the o-rings.

trailrider894
04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
tooth brush and water. don't use solvents they will ruin the o-rings.

pitcrew
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
thanks

GPracer2500
04-22-2009, 02:39 AM
WD40 works great as a cleaner for me.

Spray on liberally, wipe down/off as much gunk as possible, ride around the block to sling off what wouldn't wipe off (and to warm up the chain and to allow time for the solvents in the WD40 to evaporate), then lube with your favorite chain lube.

WD40 will not harm the o-rings. I've proven that to myself as a fact. Some have argued WD40 will (or at least can) get past the o-rings and degrade the (usually lithium) grease the o-rings are there to protect. I'll concede that is possible. But my experiences lead me to believe that if it does happen it too minor to be of consequence. That could be because 1) no WD40 is really getting in there, 2) what little does get in there doesn't hurt a darn thing, 3) the chain cleanliness offered by WD40 far outweighs any downside, or 4) some combination of 1, 2, and 3.

The purpose made chain cleaners found in motorcycle shops work well too. I like using them but they cost too much for me to buy regularly. Kerosene is recommended for cleaning o-ring chains by many chain manufactures and motorcycle manufactures. I've done that but don't care for it. WD40 is easier and works better for me.

$0.02

pitcrew
04-22-2009, 04:48 AM
lol thanks