PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

hotshotgoal30
04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
im going to purchase a new pipe. im 99.9% sure its gunna be a rossier. i already have my wire cut. do i need or should i buy the motoworks fuel programmer? yes i know supposidly you dont need it with taking the airbox lid off and having that pipe but do you really know if its right? and if i do buy one do i need to re attach the wire or can i leave it off? also i want o buy one of those pre filter lids to put on. this shouldnt affect anyhting right? still plenty of air?

X400EX
04-18-2009, 03:22 PM
If you buy the Rossier freeair intake, you will be right on spot with pink wire and open box. I'm currently running this setup and it runs really good!

hotshotgoal30
04-18-2009, 05:23 PM
awesome ill have to take a look at that.

hotshotgoal30
04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
does anyone know how loud the rossier is?

xrxmxcx
04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Word on the street is that a Rossier complete exhaust dyno'd at a lower number than a stock head pipe with a Motoworks SR4 slip-on.

hotshotgoal30
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
really? who reported that? because from what i have seen rossier and ron woods has been top performers. im still wondering how loud the rossier is. it doesnt say on the website

ml450r
04-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
Word on the street is that a Rossier complete exhaust dyno'd at a lower number than a stock head pipe with a Motoworks SR4 slip-on.

I would like to know where this info comes from, I heard the opposite, I would like to know the truth though.

HOBS DS450
04-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't know any offical noise numbers but the Rossier is loud! Don't get we wrong, I love the pipe but just be prepared to make noise. lol

X400EX
04-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah it is very loud unfortunatly.

hotshotgoal30
04-20-2009, 06:30 AM
really that loud? anyne have any idea like what kind of decibal? i heard a ds with an hmf and it was rediculas. he claimed it was 109 decibal and very well could be true it was much to loud for my taste. and if the rossier is up there can you quiet them down at all or no? id like to be around 100-102 decibals. anything over that gets people fired up. hmm i had my heart set on the rossier i may have to go with the next best thing

ml450r
04-20-2009, 06:33 AM
I think Charlie told me it was under 105. He did tell me it was too loud to pass the pro production and pro class testing.

I don't think it is too obnoxious. My Honda is, the can am sounds pretty decent, not too annoying.

ml450r
04-20-2009, 06:37 AM
"....Our exhaust was rated at 104 to 105 dB, which was loud. However, Rossier says a billet down-turn tip and “quiet kit” can achieve a 98 dB level and will not decrease the horsepower....."

hotshotgoal30
04-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by ml450r
"....Our exhaust was rated at 104 to 105 dB, which was loud. However, Rossier says a billet down-turn tip and “quiet kit” can achieve a 98 dB level and will not decrease the horsepower....."

thats good to know. i really like the other tip tho. lol the cone one. so myabe if i buy the quiet kit with the cone tip id be right around where id like to be. i dont have to worry about racing noise i just have to worry about neighbors. lol

joeyds450x
04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
really that loud? anyne have any idea like what kind of decibal? i heard a ds with an hmf and it was rediculas. he claimed it was 109 decibal and very well could be true it was much to loud for my taste. and if the rossier is up there can you quiet them down at all or no? id like to be around 100-102 decibals. anything over that gets people fired up. hmm i had my heart set on the rossier i may have to go with the next best thing

my hmf is rated at 104 db, 99-100 db with the quiet core, id like to get the rossier pipe though

TNT
04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't get too jacked up over all these numbers published by these pipe builders or people on forums. Most OEM's if not all take a stock quad and publish numbers that mean nothing but to those running stock engines. The sound cancellation techniques(and there are many) used will vary in power loss based on the mods, technique used. The Pro's(now Pro-am's ATVA's) use the FMF if you want to stay under 99DB. FMF and John Natalie told me the same pipe they use is available to the public. How much power loss again will depend on the configuration of your quad. The only way to effectively control the sound level power output loss/gain of a modded engine is to the specific exhaust gas flow and pressure, sound wave. More has to be done at the OEM to make this effective as far as mod control. BRP by offering performance upgrades with a pipe, like the Stage 1, will be ahead of the game in the right spot as Steering Committees such as FIM drop levels like 94 as is being done in Europe….just a matter of time before we see it in the US and one available pipe(IE: FMF) in the market is not the answer.

Other than a few big whine babies that like to complain about quads don't worry about it too much for now, there's not a lot they can do. Check with the promoter of the series you run or the municipality of the area you live in. The Db level allowed before 10PM is what you want to know and it usually measured at further distances than 2 feet from the sound source at a 45 degree angle like the current AMA pipe test, but even then it will be the promoter or track owners problem to regulate the sound of the # of racers he has on the track including track noise. The AMA test procedure is flawed in that respect and there is lot more that has to be done in the after market, OEM, before this all gets resolved. It's also a grey area to enforce, even at the municipality/township code level.

Maybe when we get it under control they can start whining about the West Coast Chopper Boy's, can't wait to see that one. :rolleyes: