PDA

View Full Version : Need Tie Rod - Where can I get them

11-17-2001, 04:24 PM
Ok guys need your help 2002 400ex just bent my front left tie rod. hit a small tree branch and it bent up like nothing. Oh I also went over the handle bars.

Can anyone tell me where I can get new and stonger aftermarket tie bars and web link. At least that is what I think you would call the long arm going t o the wheel.

Need a new tie bar asap. I am in harrisburg pa at this time. Was going to ride at Tower City on Sun.

Do you think they would cover this under warranty????
Can you give me a estimate on cost of this item and part number also.
thanks
Steve
stevenjeff@ameritech.net

Leo
11-17-2001, 06:45 PM
If you go with a stronger tie-rod, then something else will bend next time..

I don' t think that the warranty covers crash damage.. :D

You can grab OEM parts from Marcums (ad on on the top of this page) or from www.servicehonda.com

Leo

Guy400
11-17-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Leo
If you go with a stronger tie-rod, then something else will bend next timeThat's exactly right, tie rods are cheaper than rims, spindles, a-arms and steering stems. Think of them as the 'fuse' for your front end.

Leo
11-18-2001, 06:20 AM
forgot to mention, typically the rod-ends themselves bend on the 400EX, not the rod's...

Leo

[moving to the chasiss forum]

11-19-2001, 07:07 AM
the stock honda tie rods are the strongest out of the "the big four's", just buy stock

trueblue450
11-19-2001, 08:37 PM
Not insulting your intellegence but sometimes you look over things. I did this myself:D But did you check the tie rod end itself. I thought mine was all bent up, but it just needed tightened. Just checkin so you don't go out and buy a new one if you don't need it.

11-19-2001, 08:45 PM
I got a new one today for 5 bucks, installed and off riding again. Bent one threw away no need to bend back when they are that cheap.

thanks

Scott
11-26-2001, 02:41 PM
I always sleeve mine to keep them from bending. We used to keep a spare under the front plastic on the 300, but then started sleeving them. By stopping the sleeve at the edge of the threads you still have full adjustment and, even though it's a lot stronger than stock, it will still bend at the threads before you bend something else. I haven't had a problem wit anything else bending, and they've been that way for the last 2 years. Pro-Fab ATV sells polished SS sleeved Honda tie rods for the 300/250x and 400/250r. They're about $40 and you can't beat the look. That will be my next set.

11-30-2001, 07:39 AM
300ex_man,

How did you tighten your tierod end?? I recently replaced a bent tie rod and it seems there is some play in the ends now. I can see a nut on the bottom, but the bolt turns with it so how do I hold the bolt to tighten the nut? I don't see a head for the bolt anywhere. Thanks,

AO

11-30-2001, 01:13 PM
if you want sweet Chromoly tie rods.. call JD Performance.. they should sell any length you need..

909 676 7957 ask for debbie...

EX_RIDER
11-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Go to servise honda and get them.They are VERY CHEAP.I just ordered mine and got them in two days.They was only 3.74 or each I think.