PDA

View Full Version : keep frying cdi's

BlasterEaten250
04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
So a couple weeks ago my original cdi went out so I replaced it with another one. Today this one decided it didn't want to work either. So obviously something is wrong somewhere else. Could it be my rectifier? I'm trying to figure out what things could be causing this, any idea's?

tri5ron
04-17-2009, 10:53 PM
quick answer,... Yes it could be the rectifier. (or more acurately, the Regulator/Rectifier unit)

long answer,
Honda uses a rectifier/regulator in the same unit.
The rectifier side changes the AC current coming from the alternator/stator, to DC current to charge the battery.

The regulator side of it, is what keeps the DC curent at 12.3 to 13.2
The regulator is a resistor that only allows a pre-specified amount of voltage to go to the battery. The excess voltage is sent to ground (-) so as not to over-charge the battery.

now with that being said,...
it is possible to damage the regulator, if,

1- you have done any arc/mig welding on your bike, without at least disconnecting the battery,....

or,

2- if you have disconnected the battery lead while the engine was running, (or the Battery leads came loose while the engine was running/ i.e., while you were riding).

battery's not only store voltage/amperage, ...
they also act kind of like an "electrical shock absorber", to the entire electrical system.

Hope this helps.
I do have the factory manual also.
If you need me to help you with the troubleshooting of the electrical/charging system, I'll be happy to do so.

Ron

honda400ex2003
04-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice writeup tri5. good info in that!!!!!:eek2: I learned a lot from reading it sorry I cant help though. steve

BlasterEaten250
04-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm gonna buy a used regulator/rectifier and cdi and see what happens, they are really cheap used. I'll also go ahead and check my whole wiring harness and make sure nothing looks wrong with that

tri5ron
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Check it over very closely for both shorted wires, and proper connections/grounds.

Then if you like, we can go through the manual, and do a few tests. i.e. voltage, continuity, output, battery leak-down, etc.

I think I'd want to do those tests first, and you want to be careful buying used electrical components off of ebay.
(you get one guess why I'm cautious about that).