PDA

View Full Version : MX'ing time

RideSportrax
12-31-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey guys,
I plan on gettin a 400EX in the near future for MX. Its a local track with some 70 foot tables and some 20 foot and 30 foot doubles. I wanted to know if the stock suspension will hold up and perform well under these conditions? If I need to modify what should I get? I was thinking +2 A-Arms with Works performance shocks. Are these good for the front end? What about the rear suspension? How much can I expect this to cost?

hondaracer31
12-31-2002, 04:27 PM
The rear is pretty good stock. Keep an eye on the swingarm, watch for cracks. Plus 2" a-arms work well, and you can get good ones for around $525. Works shocks or better are a must, the stocker just bounce! I'm not sure what works cost....I think around $500, but I'm probly wrong. You may want a wider axle to go with the a-arms. Good luck.:)

RideSportrax
01-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Nothing Else? Not like this site.............................

roostin_dale
01-01-2003, 05:13 PM
if you get +2 A-arms i think you should get an extended axle too. Wont be as tippy.

Works shocks are good for play raacing..but if your gunna be doin some serious, or a lot of racing you might want something better. Like Elka's or PEP's. Check out the quadshop..they give exrider members a small discount.

I hope i helped a little.

MX26
01-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Hard question. I think if I were in your position, I'd get a +4 axle 1st. Next, a-arms. Guys on this board are very opinionated(as I am too) on which brand of a-arms, but it's all up to you. Shocks are, like hondaracer31 says, a must. Works are 100% better than stock, but they're not the best.

As for me, I would stick with a Lonestar or RPM axle. The a-arms are a tossup. Hermann, Houser, Laeger, Lonestar, Walsh, Roll Design, the list goes on and on. Same with shocks. Do a search on this site. I'm sure you'll come up with more than enough info.

Good luck!

01-01-2003, 07:40 PM
For a real nice set up i would get houser +2's with Pep ZPS fronts a rear shock conversion to ZPS and a +4 axle. you would be able to handle anything on a track with that.

YLW400
01-01-2003, 07:43 PM
QuadMX18, I hope you are right, thats the setup I am getting too. The shocks are on order.......Have you gotten your stuff yet????

01-01-2003, 07:49 PM
nope nothin yet. I ordered my shocks november 16th. Im gunna call wayne in like a week and see when i can expect the shocks. They told me three months. When i know theyll be here in like 3 weeks im gunna send my rear to them and then order housers. Then later on i will get an axle. I hope this set up is real nice and im sure it will be. I wanted to do things right the first time and not have to keep replacing or adjusting crappy parts

YLW400
01-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Who did you order them through? I ordered mine December 12th through Baldwin.....sorry to mess up your thread Ride.....but maybe some of this info will help you out anyway

01-01-2003, 07:52 PM
I called up PEP directly. How long is the wait for you? PEP told me three months. Yea sorry if we got off topic. hopefully we will help.

stocktires
01-01-2003, 09:29 PM
before askin a question like this you must supply us with a $ figure you'd like to spend. I could give you a budget racer's set-up, or get you set-up with top of the line chassis components.
lmk

roostin_dale
01-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
before askin a question like this you must supply us with a $ figure you'd like to spend. I could give you a budget racer's set-up, or get you set-up with top of the line chassis components.
lmk

Yes, money is a big option when setting up a quad for MX.
Because a set of A-arms could differ like $500...
same with axle, shocks, motor, etc.

MX26
01-02-2003, 04:31 PM
I've yet to see an axle differ in $500 ;)

wilkin250r
01-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MX26
I've yet to see an axle differ in $500 ;)

You can spend 'round $200 on a Durablue Heavy Duty, or go upwards of $700 for a RAD Titanium axle..

MX26
01-02-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
lmk

Wilkin, sorry if I wasn't very clear about that... Like stocktires said, most people aren't looking to spend $700 on an axle. With that one out of the picture, most axles are near the same price.