PDA

View Full Version : Which one? R or EX

toby400ex
12-31-2002, 04:04 PM
As a few of yu might know i have been trying desperately to make some money, and after i get the amount of money i want i will be sellling my beloved 300ex. I am doing this to get a better quad for XC racing, mostly tight tracks, they will be muddy at times of course, and i also like to ride during the winter some times. My whole delimma (sp?) is whether i should try to find a good deal on an R or if i should go the more simpler route and get a 400ex. I know that im used to the power of a 4-stroke but alot of the pros are riding the 250r's to the podium. I know that a 400ex can be made and tuned to run with the r's and all but the 250r is also the all mighty ruler of the atv world of course. I think i might have troubles trying to find a 250r in the $3500-$3800 range but will it be worth it to pass up the 400ex deals to get the rr. Sorry about the rambling and what not but i dont wanna be stuck with the slower quad or the one that is as old as me.

jskance
12-31-2002, 04:09 PM
The 'R' - no question.
I have an 'EX' and had an 'R'. The 'R' was a thing of beauty - handeling, horespower, ergonomics - all were spot on. Plus a 6th gear.
Sold it when I went to college...... oh well.

toby400ex
12-31-2002, 04:51 PM
but i guess i also have to think about the fact that it is a 2-stroke and it will have to be rebuilt every so often. but i guess i will have to learn to do it sometime, also are parts about the same cost for both of them, such as factory parts.

Ryan
12-31-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by jskance
The 'R' - no question.
I have an 'EX' and had an 'R'. The 'R' was a thing of beauty - handeling, horespower, ergonomics - all were spot on. Plus a 6th gear.

Horsepower, yes. Handling, I don't know about that. And as for 6 gears, the 6th gear is like an overdrive and for racing with a 5 speed other than a 6 you can focus more on the terrian with a 5.

I would say go with a 400ex, if your used to 4-strokes and want a quad for some mud and winter riding then a 4-stroke is the deal for that. 2-strokes do alot of spinning in the mud/snow. I like the 2-stroke power and the kick to it but I will being going for a 4-stroke soon because it seems that 2-strokes are being overruled or just leaving the racing seen year by year.

Gotta love the 250r though.

250rmike
12-31-2002, 07:13 PM
hey i got a 250r for sale for 3500 w/ a clean title and all u would really need to start racing xc is trade my maier race cuts for full fender fronts some more ply tires and ur set. u could even trade the rear tires for like razrs or holeshots. has almost new fast trekkers on .190's in frt and almost new mx holeshot rears. i really need to sell fast. has alot more

toby400ex
01-01-2003, 05:01 PM
i really need to sell mine fast too, it will be in the paper this sunday if i get the bearings i ordered soon enough. I am lookin at a 200 400ex that is about a mile away from me. Its got what i want. fmf pipe k&n filter jet kit and razrs all around. If i get mine sold fast enough i think i should be able to get it for around 3500....................I hope at least i need my fo hunnered.

roostin_dale
01-01-2003, 06:19 PM
this is asked a lot...it is weather you like the 2 stroke or a 4 stroke pretty much.

killed300ex
01-01-2003, 06:26 PM
you wont like the 2 stroke in the winter and in the muddy parts of the coarse id get the 400
the 400 will be alot less maintaince and will last alot longer since it is only like 3 years old verse a 13 year old quad
killed

toby400ex
01-01-2003, 07:25 PM
well said, but it is alot more than 4-stroke vs 2-stroke, maintnance cost . durability, the fact that the r is the all time king of the atv world.

250rmike
01-01-2003, 11:34 PM
people alwaysaccociate 2 stroke w/ maintenence. why??? what is different froma 2 stroke to a 4 stroke the only thing that will last longer in a 4 stroke is a piston and rings. the rest of the bike will wear the same. its mainly do u like smooth power or 2 stroke power

stocktires
01-02-2003, 01:02 AM
I see alota GUESSING in the posts trying to answer your question toby.
I have owned my R for 2 1/2 years. There's nothing like it, It's hard to explain, it's just like riding a perfect quad! It doesnt require a whole lot more matinence (sp?).
Its hard to recommend a quad for you on the internet. An R will handle slightly better, be slightly faster (but that really depends on you), and lighter. But a 400ex might actually be cheaper and wont require anything fixed or needing replacing. Im afraid If you bought a non-mint R you may spend all your money on repairs, rather than aftermarket parts. With you being on a budget racer might atually make the 400 a better quad...
Thats why you see many more 400's racing, yet more R's at the podium because the pro's have full sponsered quads and basically ride what they want.
The 400 your interested in seems perfect! All you'd probably need/want would be some good shocks, larger tank, and an anti-vibe stem, and skids!

tprender
01-02-2003, 07:36 AM
If you are paying $3500 for a 400 that is the average price, you might be able to find one for a few hundred less. But, if this one is clean get it. The "R" was and is still a good quad, but it's time has come and gone. You will not see that many of them at the races this year, more of the riders are selling there R's and getting some type of the new 4-strokes. Suz and Kaw are giving out money if you win on them at certain races. Look at the GNCC numbers last year in the 2-stock classes to the year before.

Teufel
01-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by jskance
The 'R' - no question.

Couldn't have said it better, without a doubt the 250r is/was the best sport quad ever... As far as chasis and handling the 400ex frame was designed from the R and house the big 4 stroke engine.

toby400ex
01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
lol, it actually turns out that 400ex is gonna sell for 3100, that is good and all but i unfortunatly am trying to get my 300ex back together to put in the paper this weekend. I wish i could get it sold this weekend but i doubt it, im sure i will be able to get at least 2800 out of it but i dont know how quick. I thought the 400ex was in a nieghborhood about a mile from me but it is actually about 100 miles away in a city with the same name as the neighborhood i thought it was in. Oh well, I'll have to see what happens.

toby400ex
01-03-2003, 08:57 PM
bump

01-03-2003, 09:27 PM
i would say a 400ex. The 250rs winning in the podium arnt really 250rs. they have frames a arms axle EVERYTHING. They are new cylinders exhausts. nothin is stock. also i think 2 strokes are less maintenece. You mix oil and gas and ride. then rebuild every 1 or 2 years. 4 strokes you have to do oil changes every 20 - 30 hours, adjust the valves, theres cams, cam chains, etc...

01-03-2003, 10:46 PM
:D ....."R"....

stocktires
01-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
i would say a 400ex. The 250rs winning in the podium arnt really 250rs. they have frames a arms axle EVERYTHING. They are new cylinders exhausts. nothin is stock. also i think 2 strokes are less maintenece. You mix oil and gas and ride. then rebuild every 1 or 2 years. 4 strokes you have to do oil changes every 20 - 30 hours, adjust the valves, theres cams, cam chains, etc...

exactly, I'd rather change out my R top-end five times, than a cam chain or anyhting to do with cams.
4-strokes dont like me :mad: I always overheat them and then melt pistons, cams, and rockers (which doesnt come cheap)
but thats me ;) :p

PhilMoore
01-04-2003, 10:14 PM
If you have to buy used, I say go with the 400EX. You would have to tear it down and grease it, and check it over well, but that would apply to any used quad. If you can get a used one with plenty of aftermarked goodies on it, that is great. But, if a newer 400EX cost as much or more than a used 250R with goodies, it makes more sense to get the goodies (but only if it runs without spewing antifreeze, idling crazily, and starts decent).
The best reason to get the 400EX would be the ability to get new one. You will still need to tear down the chassis and grease it up good (Honda still does not know how to do assembly lube) before you use it, but at least you are starting fresh. You would also need to buy some decent shocks for it.

I have had great luck will all my Honda 2 and 4 stroke engines. As long as they haven't been torn down by the wrong person, you have a great chance of a reliable mill. Which brings me to my next point; A 250R will almost certainly be cracked open. The motor will probably ( I say higher than 50% chance) have some JB weld in it somewhere! :) I say the used 400EX will be more reliable in the long run. I only base this opinion on my owning 3 ATC250R's and 1 TRX250R, and 1 400EX. All the 250R engines have had minor and major problems (fragged counterbalancer bearings, 3 failed ignition stators) most other problems have been related to improper repairs by persons other than myself :) I have never opened my 1999 400EX except for valve adjustments. I wouldn't say it is running "strong" but it still starts easily, doesn't smoke, and I trust it to go on an all day ride. I am not afraid to run it near the rev limiter for extended periods of time for long hill climbs. I have raced it enough times (MX) to know it is competive with 250R's and Banshees. (I have works front shocks, a wide axle, and shredder tires.) I have 3 second place trophies, but never a first... :(
I would not buy a used 400EX that has a modified engine, I don't care who has done it. I would have engine work done on a clean motor, but I just wouldn't buy one that has been "hopped up" by God knows who. Having raced modded 440's, 416's etc, I just don't believe the little bit of power gained is worth the decrease in reliability.

The pro's quad's aren't really 250R's anymore. Honestly, the only reason I can think of for a person to get a used 250R anymore is to say that they have one. I personally like the light weight, but the ride to mainenance ratio is too high (due to the age of the quad). If you want a quad for less than $6000 that will be there for you when you are ready to go race, you will probably want the 400EX. If you buy a used 250R, you will be very, very lucky to get one that you can take out and race and feel confident you will finish. Unless you are very good friends with the previous owner, and know what you are getting.
I just do not feel your chances of getting a $3500 250R and having it run as well as a $3500 400EX are even close. Stock parts for the 400EX are cheaper than for the 250R.

I say your best bet is to get a new 400EX, grease it up, waterproof it, put some better front shocks, a kill switch and XC tires on it. Then, ride it with stock bars until they bend. Once you replace the stock bars, you should be good to go!

A 250R is not going to make you get to the podium. Theoretically, you should be on the podium with your 300EX!:)

Good luck!

stocktires
01-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
If you have to buy used, I say go with the 400EX. You would have to tear it down and grease it, and check it over well, but that would apply to any used quad. If you can get a used one with plenty of aftermarked goodies on it, that is great. But, if a newer 400EX cost as much or more than a used 250R with goodies, it makes more sense to get the goodies (but only if it runs without spewing antifreeze, idling crazily, and starts decent).
The best reason to get the 400EX would be the ability to get new one. You will still need to tear down the chassis and grease it up good (Honda still does not know how to do assembly lube) before you use it, but at least you are starting fresh. You would also need to buy some decent shocks for it.

I have had great luck will all my Honda 2 and 4 stroke engines. As long as they haven't been torn down by the wrong person, you have a great chance of a reliable mill. Which brings me to my next point; A 250R will almost certainly be cracked open. The motor will probably ( I say higher than 50% chance) have some JB weld in it somewhere! :) I say the used 400EX will be more reliable in the long run. I only base this opinion on my owning 3 ATC250R's and 1 TRX250R, and 1 400EX. All the 250R engines have had minor and major problems (fragged counterbalancer bearings, 3 failed ignition stators) most other problems have been related to improper repairs by persons other than myself :) I have never opened my 1999 400EX except for valve adjustments. I wouldn't say it is running "strong" but it still starts easily, doesn't smoke, and I trust it to go on an all day ride. I am not afraid to run it near the rev limiter for extended periods of time for long hill climbs. I have raced it enough times (MX) to know it is competive with 250R's and Banshees. (I have works front shocks, a wide axle, and shredder tires.) I have 3 second place trophies, but never a first... :(
I would not buy a used 400EX that has a modified engine, I don't care who has done it. I would have engine work done on a clean motor, but I just wouldn't buy one that has been "hopped up" by God knows who. Having raced modded 440's, 416's etc, I just don't believe the little bit of power gained is worth the decrease in reliability.

The pro's quad's aren't really 250R's anymore. Honestly, the only reason I can think of for a person to get a used 250R anymore is to say that they have one. I personally like the light weight, but the ride to mainenance ratio is too high (due to the age of the quad). If you want a quad for less than $6000 that will be there for you when you are ready to go race, you will probably want the 400EX. If you buy a used 250R, you will be very, very lucky to get one that you can take out and race and feel confident you will finish. Unless you are very good friends with the previous owner, and know what you are getting.
I just do not feel your chances of getting a $3500 250R and having it run as well as a $3500 400EX are even close. Stock parts for the 400EX are cheaper than for the 250R.

I say your best bet is to get a new 400EX, grease it up, waterproof it, put some better front shocks, a kill switch and XC tires on it. Then, ride it with stock bars until they bend. Once you replace the stock bars, you should be good to go!

A 250R is not going to make you get to the podium. Theoretically, you should be on the podium with your 300EX!:)

Good luck!

Thats everything I wanted to say! READ THIS ^ AGAIN! lol

tants
01-06-2003, 11:43 AM
you best deal is to go out and ride a 250r and a 400ex.
i plan on racing mx, and i had my chance to either get a 250r or a 400ex. i got the 250r.

Bean
01-06-2003, 03:36 PM
when a 400 or an R is raced, they both are very unstock machines, lol, no sh*t, the only reason a 400 has a stock head most of the time is because no AM company makes one, that i am aware of

tants
01-06-2003, 03:48 PM
i posted this thread awhile back when i was deciding to get a 250r or 400ex...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4193&highlight=250r

check it out, people brought up good info

toby400ex
01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
thanks for all the info guys,:D , right now it looks like my chances are good to get a 2000 400ex with little hours, full razrs, an fmf mega max2 slip on and k&n filter. So it is basically like mine only with better suspension, chassis, and somewhere around 115 more cc. I say that cuz i have the exact same hop-ups. And if i yget mine sold quick enough i will be able to get this 400ex for $3200. the guy is actually holding it for me cuz i was willing to give him $100 above his asking price.:D Oh yeah and mine is in the paper right now and its as clean as a wissle.:D :devil :blah

toby400ex
01-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Im sure this picture serves the true beauty of the 400ex in no way but it is all i want. All i need to make it race worthy for now is some skids and my renthals i have layin around with some handgaurds on em. I will aslo be savin some mula cuz i make my own chassis skids and i happen to have 7 extra 400ex skids and 3 300ex skids layin in the garage right now. I dont think there is any way for me to aford shocks unless i find some used works, or maybe some new works i dunno.

toby400ex
01-08-2003, 04:30 PM
bumparoo

The One!!!
01-08-2003, 05:48 PM
400ex is the way to go throw a 11.5 to one piston in and it has the pull of an r

Bean
01-08-2003, 06:03 PM
sure you didnt add a 440 kit, and a 15:1 comp piston?

toby400ex
01-09-2003, 06:50 PM
bump

400exRacerX
01-09-2003, 08:13 PM
I have both, but unfortenatly I can't give my opinion for your situation cause both of my bikes are setup for mx and not xc. I'd ride my 250r over my 416ex any day. But for the trails I personaly would tkae the 416 cause its a four stroke.

toby400ex
01-09-2003, 09:29 PM
ooooooooooooooooooo i c

Porkchop
01-10-2003, 10:10 AM
that looks just like my bike! only I've got Kenda Knarly's on it instead of Razors.. and I'll soon have an HMF on it too

toby400ex
01-10-2003, 02:09 PM
well in the stock form, pretty much they all look the same, it will look a bit different once i get my hands on it. And i might trade out the fmf for a hmf or some engine builders pipe this summer, i dont really like the megamax2, i have one on my 300ex right now, it came with it so i left it on.

toby400ex
01-21-2003, 11:46 AM
well, im giong to go pick it up tonight, so maybe i need to talk to ben about changing my name to toby400ex, i hope that name isnt takin yet.:D

Porkchop
01-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Good luck man :macho

toby400ex
01-21-2003, 08:30 PM
well, i got it, i love it and i should have some pix up tomorrow maybe.:D

forum
01-22-2003, 06:10 AM
good chioce. i went from an r to an ex. I think you'll be faster on the ex. R's take to much money to keep going. and i hate rebuilding top ends all the time

toby400ex
01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
heres a pic right hia

toby400ex
01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
and one of my own chassis skid that i make:D